Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought some Flitz Preclean to work on my Mickey Thompson MKIIs once winter is over (they're on my truck). From what I've seen it should clean up most of the damage caused from the salt, brake dust etc.

Then I got to thinking. I have the wheels off the Z right now and they are looking pretty dingy on the inside. I have iforged aeros which are partially powder coated. The rest is polished un coated aluminum. So the flitz will work fine on the aluminum but I'm worried about getting any on the black powder coating. The bottle says NOT suitable for chrome, stainless steel and painted surfaces. Does the powder coating count as a painted surface? I would think so.

Anyone have any experience with this situation?

Thanks.

·
Registered
16,300 Posts
Powder Coat = Paint

·
Supporting Vendor / Car Care Sponsor
637 Posts
Id definitely recommend keeping it off of the powdercoat. PC is much more durable than paint, but it can still be damaged by chemicals and abrasives.

Simply mask off the PC'd areas if you can using some low tack 3M painters tape before polishing and it shouldn't be a problem. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I opted to not spray it on the wheels. The outside lips are in great condition and don't need anything other than a little polish. What I decided to do with the insides of the wheels was:

First wiped out the brake dust with a wet rag. Then I took some 00 steel wool and got rid of most of the brake dust damage. Then around the inside of the lip where the two pieces of the wheel are bolted together, I used some Flitz preclean on a toothbrush and worked that area. Wow does that stuff remove dirt grime and brake dust like nobody's business. I wiped that off with a wet rag and then polished the inside of the wheel with the flitz metal polish and their polishing ball. The wheels look way better than they did when I started. Not perfect but good enough for me.

I'll try and post up some pics of before and after. I would recommend the flitz pre-clean to anyone with uncoated aluminum wheels. The metal polish and the ball worked well too. It really did what I had hoped it would. I can't wait to use this stuff on my MKII's which are all aluminum and are suffering badly with the road salt.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
1 - 6 of 6 Posts