Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tracked the '07 Z at Gingerman Raceway in South Haven, Michigan yesterday, 4/17/07. After my third session on the track, and finding that my brakes were starting to fade, I brought the car in. Opened the hood to cool down and found that a brown colored fluid had been sprayed in front of the air intake.

It appeared that some fluid had escaped from the power steering resevoir, but then there was some fluid towards the bottom of the air intake near the oil "cooler".

Oil level in the car remained full, as well as brake fluid. After the car cooled down the brakes were fine and I ran two other sessions with approximately 6-7 laps per session, brakes were fine.

Has anyone else experienced this problem with their car? I believe the problem is associated with the power steering resevoir, but I can't explain or figure out how the fluid got down to the air intake.

The car goes in tomorrow for its first oil change at 3,500 miles. I will have them check this out but wanted to know if anyone else has experienced this. Thanks in advance for any input or advice. :thumbsup:

·
DC Crew
13,185 Posts
I don't know what caused your leak, But I do know wher Gingerman is. When are you going to be back there again? I went there a few years ago for a Ferrari event. I'd like to go back again. Let me know ;)

·
Registered
307 Posts
I tracked the '07 Z at Gingerman Raceway in South Haven, Michigan yesterday, 4/17/07. After my third session on the track, and finding that my brakes were starting to fade, I brought the car in. Opened the hood to cool down and found that a brown colored fluid had been sprayed in front of the air intake.

It appeared that some fluid had escaped from the power steering resevoir, but then there was some fluid towards the bottom of the air intake near the oil "cooler".

Oil level in the car remained full, as well as brake fluid. After the car cooled down the brakes were fine and I ran two other sessions with approximately 6-7 laps per session, brakes were fine.

Has anyone else experienced this problem with their car? I believe the problem is associated with the power steering resevoir, but I can't explain or figure out how the fluid got down to the air intake.

The car goes in tomorrow for its first oil change at 3,500 miles. I will have them check this out but wanted to know if anyone else has experienced this. Thanks in advance for any input or advice. :thumbsup:
You had too much oil - when you came in, the oil overflowed into the dry sump reservoir breather line, down the air intake and out the air filter. For track use, you must make sure the oil (properly measured per owners manual) is not above the middle marker of the 3 markers on the dip stick. BTW make sure you take off the air intake and make sure the two little hydrocarbon pads near the air filter haven't come loose.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Allan G:

Thanks for your insight and experience. After going to another forum I figured out that was my problem. As you might guess, that was my first time tracking the car! (It was an absolute blast!!!)

It is at the dealership for its first oil change (3,500 miles). Everything else checks out fine on the car.

Again, thanks for the advice! :thumbsup: Next stop, Bowling Green for the Birthday Bash.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Taking these cars to the track is an amazing experience isn't it?

But if most of your driving is off the track, like mine is, don't you feel a little guilty after track day is over? Like you've beaten it a little? :smack

Maybe its just me.

·
Registered
237 Posts

But if most of your driving is off the track, like mine is, don't you feel a little guilty after track day is over? Like you've beaten it a little? :smack

Maybe its just me.

Who, me?? I feel guilty for not having enough money and time to track it more often :D
The race track is the natural environment of the Corvette!
Driving on the track should never be "beating" the car. Except the "consumables", like tires, brake pads, rotors, etc nothing should break.
:cheers:

·
Registered
307 Posts
Allan G:

Thanks for your insight and experience. After going to another forum I figured out that was my problem. As you might guess, that was my first time tracking the car! (It was an absolute blast!!!)
You are most welcome. Just a reminder - don't assume anything, you should personally remove the air intake and inspect the hydrocarbon pads (especially the lower one) to make sure it is still firmly attached. The "burping" of the hot oil through the intake can loosen the glue that holds the pads to the inside of the intake (just aft of the air filter) and cause the following to happen:

1. Just loose, the pad can start flapping at high engine speed and cause the engine to sputter intermittently and set codes.

2. It can actually come off and fly into the throttle body, causing a failure of that component and potentially causing more mischief if it gets past the throttle body into the intake manifold.

BTW these are not idle speculations - these things have happened more than once. It's easy enough to remove the air intake and check it out. While you're there, look and see how much oil was absorbed by the air filter (it will discolor it).

Lastly, remember to keep the oil level at the middle marker or below when you head to the track. IGNORE the advice in the owners manual about topping it up. :down:

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Again thanks. The dealership called and advised all of those things have checked out okay. The air filter has been replaced. While the car was in service they ordered the new inserts that fit in the rear brake air inlet scoops. The parts come in tomorrow and I should have my car back by noon. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
59 Posts

Maybe its just me.
They call that the thrill of Victory my friend.
To me it feels great.:partyon:

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Got the car back today, too much oil was the problem and the power steering fluid was over filled. All fluid levels adjusted and the air filter was replaced. The new rear brake intake scoop was replaced while the car was in service. Everything was completed on time and to my satisfaction. I won't make that mistake again. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1 Posts
C6 Z06 Oil Leak

I have a 2007 Z06. In March/07 at a track event, using 6000 rpm as a self imposed redline, an oil leak started at the fitting at the bottom of the oil cooler. I had it repaired at the dealer. This weekend, at another track event, about 1 mile into the warm up lap, well below redline and ambient temperature of 80 degrees, it happened again. I checked around, and another Z06 owner confirmed that he had a similar problem at a recent track event. Does anyone have any information about this problem?

·
Registered
307 Posts
I have a 2007 Z06. In March/07 at a track event, using 6000 rpm as a self imposed redline, an oil leak started at the fitting at the bottom of the oil cooler. I had it repaired at the dealer. This weekend, at another track event, about 1 mile into the warm up lap, well below redline and ambient temperature of 80 degrees, it happened again. I checked around, and another Z06 owner confirmed that he had a similar problem at a recent track event. Does anyone have any information about this problem?
Yes, just read my explanation above. TOO MUCH OIL FOR TRACK EVENTS.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts