Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On a short drive to the supermarket yesterday evening my roof flew off. I've seen posts here before about this topic but never whether or not the dealer/GM provided replacement on the warranty or if it was put through as an insurance claim. My dealer is telling me it's an insurance issue and I think that's BS. The rear latch has acted up in the past. I've found it in the down position after securing it and sometimes it does not fall back to its resting position after installing the roof without me manually pulling it down.

They acted as if a simple insurance claim will put everything right but are not acknowledging that my deductible will be out of pocket and I don't have a damn roof I can drive the car with because I don't want it to cause an accident if it happens again. This just feels like another case of "now that you've bought the car your on your own".

And, I just got off the phone with my brother who's in the insurance industry and he said it's not an insurance issue, it's an equipment failure and that rests on the manufacturer.

Any help is appreciated

·
Registered
16,300 Posts
On a short drive to the supermarket yesterday evening my roof flew off. I've seen posts here before about this topic but never whether or not the dealer/GM provided replacement on the warranty or if it was put through as an insurance claim. My dealer is telling me it's an insurance issue and I think that's BS. The rear latch has acted up in the past. I've found it in the down position after securing it and sometimes it does not fall back to its resting position after installing the roof without me manually pulling it down.

They acted as if a simple insurance claim will put everything right but are not acknowledging that my deductible will be out of pocket and I don't have a damn roof I can drive the car with because I don't want it to cause an accident if it happens again. This just feels like another case of "now that you've bought the car your on your own".

And, I just got off the phone with my brother who's in the insurance industry and he said it's not an insurance issue, it's an equipment failure and that rests on the manufacturer.

Any help is appreciated
If you have documentation of the latch failure or there is a broken part, you might be able to get some warranty relief. Otherwise the "unlatching" could be interpreted as an error when closing the latch or accidently hitting the release. I do not know if insurance would cover that? Unlatching the rear latch alone will not result in a flying roof as there are pins holding the rear in place. I think the pins would prevent the roof from flying off if you only unlatched the rear latch. If both front were unlatched and the rear latched maybe but to be caused by only the rear latch is very doubtful. :huh:

The flying roofs on the 05s had nothing to do with the latches. They were attributed to the adhesive used to bond the roof to the roof frame.

:cheers:

·
Registered
133 Posts
Locked?

Are you 100% sure you locked the front latches? As has been stated the fronts should hold it in place at resonable speeds. Bottom line is you will most likely be paying for a new roof if the dealer and Insurance company determine the latches are in working order. Sorry :thud:
V8GRA

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
Are you 100% sure you locked the front latches? As has been stated the fronts should hold it in place at resonable speeds. Bottom line is you will most likely be paying for a new roof if the dealer and Insurance company determine the latches are in working order. Sorry :thud:
V8GRA
:agree: Haveing driven 1000's of miles i removable top coups, C3, C5, & C6's
I don't see the top coming off with just the rear latch coming loose. I have had a C5's rear latch come loose while in motion(it makes a really loud bang ) But the top does not come off...?

·
Registered
623 Posts

Any help is appreciated
When mine blew off it was an insurance claim. In Kentucky, no matter how or why it happened, insurance companies are required to pay for full replacement of any glass damage with no deductible. That included my glass top which the insurance company fully paid for. You might check the laws in your state regarding replacement of glass...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts