Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I'm currently pulling a few accesories off my present 427 while I accumulate parts for the new one. I thought while I'm in the neighborhood I'd clean up the flywheel (and pressure plate). I've only got about 10k miles on it, and it is nowhere close to needing a surfacing, but I'd like to "buff it up", as it were, before I eventually put it on the new engine. What methods or techniques have any of you guys used to freshen up the flywheel surface and appearance?
thanks,
Mike

·
Banned
3,855 Posts
assuming no grooves or damage, I would leave it alone for now, when you eventually use it again, give it a once over with 400 grit on a finish sander, nice flat thing like for cabinet work....store it and the PP with a coat of oil on it, not diffy lube, something like WD40...

works for me....

obivously you need get the oil off it before use....well.....:smack

·
Supporting Vendor
3,771 Posts
The cost for a "kiss cut" is about $30 and is your best option. The sanders will work as well, but if it were me I'd bring it to a good shop and tell them to just kiss it,..... the flywheel that is.:laughing:

·
Registered
45 Posts
If you store for a long time do not use wd40 - it attracts dust which will hold moisture and I think it also has some chemicals in it that act like emulsifiers. The emulsifiers actually allow the penetrating oil to co-exist with water and you may get flash rusting.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
If you store for a long time do not use wd40 - it attracts dust which will hold moisture and I think it also has some chemicals in it that act like emulsifiers. The emulsifiers actually allow the penetrating oil to co-exist with water and you may get flash rusting.
I use it on my hand saws every time I use them. I wondered why with this stuff on them they were always rusted when I need to use them. Oh well.

While we are on the subject, is there a way to remove heat marks in the surface of a flywheel? I could replace the faceplate material but it still has lots of life left in it. Or is this bad enough to consider replacement of the face material?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Hey thats the setup that was in my wanted ad! :laughing:

Aluminum flywheel inserts arent supposed to be turned. The PP had some pretty bad hot spots on it as well. I would just use it until it dies. But thats just me :smack

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Hey thats the setup that was in my wanted ad! :laughing:

Aluminum flywheel inserts arent supposed to be turned. The PP had some pretty bad hot spots on it as well. I would just use it until it dies. But thats just me :smack
You are correct on that one. I talked with the guy several times and checked on getting new face material. For the money, even if I have to replace the face material, it still does not come up to the price of the flywheel itself. So, I took the chance on it. Should help wake the LS up some.

·
Registered
119 Posts
No doubt it was a good deal. I just wanted something a little stronger. I actually picked up an LS7 setup for $200 shipped:partyon:

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
No doubt it was a good deal. I just wanted something a little stronger. I actually picked up an LS7 setup for $200 shipped:partyon:
According to SPECs webpage, I should not have any problems with the strength problem. I don't think I will surpass 530 ft lbs spec allows for stage 2. If I do, then let the smoke show happen.:partyon:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts