Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the stock flywheel on a 1992 6spd manual steel or aluminum?
I'm doing a few upgrades this summer and wondering steel vs aluminum?

Steel is aprox 31 lbs, Alum approx 18lbs...would this weight reduction be FELT on acceleration...?

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Is the stock flywheel on a 1992 6spd manual steel or aluminum?
I'm doing a few upgrades this summer and wondering steel vs aluminum?
Stock ZF6 FW is two pieces of steel joined by a block of Jello (Google Dual Mass Flywheel) to dampen out the vibrations at idle in the trans.
This FW is no longer available anywhere ( was $900+ when last avalable

Plenty have gone to a single mass FW ( either steel or alloy ) but be prepared for loud noises from trans ; described by most as " rocks in a tin can "
Some have no problem with the noise level ; some find it offensive

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-...81815-son-of-a-b-dual-mass-flywheel-itch.html

·
Registered
223 Posts
I run the Fidanza light weight aluminum in my 94. It is pretty loud but you get use to it. Thought something was seriously wrong at first...but like said above, its just gear rattle. One of the perks of the fly tho is the car revs up almost instantly, throttle 'blipping' is simple and fast, and you free up a little power. Only thing I don't like is it takes much more revving to get going, but you get use to that too. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
309 Posts
I went with the Fedanza Al flywheel and to be honest, its the one thing I would undo. I dont find the gain worth the rattle I get. Its just a pref. thing really, I just dont like the rattle. To me, I did not notice a SOTP difference like I thought I might.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts