Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello c3 owners!!!!
I have a question for some of you out there.
How would you restore the finish on the various bare metal
components on our c3's..ie allum. valve covers,brake booster,carb body and such.
Some of the components under the hood of my 79 have surface rust or are tarnished and I don't like it. I would like to correct this with out having to replace all of the components with new ones.
Any ideas????
Thanks
Art

·
Registered
185 Posts
Iv had some luck with various metal polishes and degreasers however this does little for rust. Id love to hear input on this aswell... My 75 has its fair share of rust to be removed.

·
DC PIT CREW BOSS
39,518 Posts
Welcome cyclonejack and Welcome rgeverso4.

If it's the ferrous metal that is rusted, sandblasting and a good primer and paint will do wonders. If it's chrome. Try a chrome polish and if that doesn't work (i.e. to much rust or pitted) re-plating or replacement are about the only options. On aluminum rust (yes, aluminum does rust, it's called oxidation), if the surface is smooth and just dull, something like Mothers will work well. If it's beyond that, buffing will probably be in order. Good luck and post some before and after pics. We all like to see pics.

·
DC Crew
53,221 Posts
Welcome cyclonejack!

I use a small metal polishing (buffing) wheel purchased at my local hardware store for $5.00. I use my dremel or drill with that.

It works really really well for areas you can get at, and saves you quite a bit of time for larger aluminum items. It also can buff away surface rust.

Also, I use a scotch-bright abrasive pad to polish up aluminum nice! It also removes surface rust.

I've found between these two approaches, plus some degreaser/cleaner... and you'll get the stuff looking brand spanking new.

Again, welcome. We'd like to hear more about your car. And, stop by the Bad Shark Lounge section and hang out. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
11,627 Posts
Welcome. :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks

Thanks for the input when I get some pics I'll post them here
While on the subjet of rust what have you guy's done to your frames....I'm planning to do a frame off this winter and woundering what I am infor having never done a frame off restoration....I know if it is rusted all the way through it has to be cut out and replaced,but what about mildly rusted parts....Should I sandblast it,prime it and paint it...if so what type of paint is reccomended???
Thanks
Art
PS This won't be the last of me I am really digg'n this corvette thing..I see a few more in my future:partyon:

·
Registered
2,409 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
After lifting the body off my frame i discovered a great deal of rust however none of it went beyond the surface. A nice abrasive sandpaper/sandblaster, whatever you prefer takes it down to the metal. With the body off the frame its really not hard to get to at all, however... leave yourself a good week to get the body off. There is always something to forget to disconnect. For me it was the parking brake cable. Everything was goin smoothely then all at once progress halted. Had to forget something. There is nothing like being able to jump up and down on the back of your frame and watch the whole slew of suspension parts do their thing though. The biggest problem I ran into was actually unbolting the body. The body is held down with 3 bolts in the nose, and i believe 3 bolts down the side (same for the other side). Atleast that is for my 75. I dont know about other years but on the 75 one of the bolts is hidden behind an access panel in the front of the rear wheel well. Of course that bolt had to be shot and immediately round off when i tried to remove it. What fun that was. Hope you have better luck with yours. :D Being able to restore the car from the inside out is well worth the headache.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Glass beading on intake...looks good

I just tried glass beading my intake .....:D
My next question is..Do you guy's know of any good stuff to remove old grease/oil and carbon on aluminum (as well as other) engine parts?
The local engine shop says that you can't hot tank aluminum parts so I'm looking for other gunk removal methods
Thanks for the info
Art

·
DC Pit Crew
11,957 Posts
if its a small part try simple green or goo gone if it isn't caked on too bad :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
And the verdict is??

Here's what I have so far....Bought 5Gal of lacquer thinner
1) Soaked part in thinner/scrub with a brass brush
2) Glass bead the parts
3) wipe down with clean thinner
4) allow to dry (or blow dry)
5) paint (if needed leave parts natural)

Local paint store guy said to try paint stripper on really tough part
I havent tried this yet

I'll post some befor/after pics tonight or tomorrow
Art

1 - 13 of 13 Posts