Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just noticed one of my fog light is out. How hard is it to replace, and how much? And how do you replace it? I didn't get a change to look at it yet. If anyone has any information, please reply.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Just as something to try, open the hood turn on the headlights and see if they flip out of the way to give you access to the bulbs.

·
Banned
591 Posts
BubbleHead said:
You need to go into the wheel well to get to the fog light.
I opened the hood and did it that way......:huh:

·
Registered
8,067 Posts
I was able to reach mine by laying on the ground and reaching up/in. The bulb twists out. Look at you manual for the correct bulb, get a new one and look at how it goes in. It was a pain. Unfortunately I sold all the manuals I had for my 98 and my son's 00. The instructions are in there.

·
Registered
288 Posts
The replacement bulb is a #893, about $7 at any auto-parts store. However, since you're putting in new bulbs, try the #885. It's the bulb used in Camaros and is 50w vs 37w for the 893. A good cheap ($14) upgrade. To replace them, I raised the headlights, removed the black surround (3 screws) and reached down to the back of the foglight housing. Took about 30 min.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys

Thanks for the reply's. I will be going to petboys to find the replacement bulbs. Thanks for the idea of replaceing them with stronger bulb.

·
Registered
8,067 Posts
I don't think there is a "stronger" bulb that will go back into the same recepticle.The PIAA's require a bit of re mounting. You will need to drop the bottom cover in that area however you can use the same wiring/switch.

·
Banned
591 Posts
stilcrazee said:
I don't think there is a "stronger" bulb that will go back into the same recepticle.The PIAA's require a bit of re mounting. You will need to drop the bottom cover in that area however you can use the same wiring/switch.
there is a hotter bulb but I can't remember the number for it.....:nuts:

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
fog lights

Thanks, i was able to get the fog light out by turning the headlights on and going in that way. It was very easy to remove them. Took less than 1 min for both. I need to purchase the replacements. Should i get the brighter ones like someone recommended 885's. Has anyone used these?

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
stilcrazee said:
I guess I should of paid closer attention, I was thinking PIAA install. :spanked:

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
fdxpilot said:
The replacement bulb is a #893, about $7 at any auto-parts store. However, since you're putting in new bulbs, try the #885. It's the bulb used in Camaros and is 50w vs 37w for the 893. A good cheap ($14) upgrade. To replace them, I raised the headlights, removed the black surround (3 screws) and reached down to the back of the foglight housing. Took about 30 min.
Thanks for the upgrade idea. I installed the 885's last night. They look good! Was very easy , took about 1 min for both. Went in from the head lights with them open. Didn't have to remove anything! Thanks guys!

·
Registered
288 Posts
As I stated above, the 885s are a good cheap upgrade. Obviously not as good as PIAAs, but only $14 bucks. If you're already replacing a bulb, it's a no-brainer. I put them in at the same time as I put Silverstars in the high and low beams.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts