Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Today I traded in my 2002 Z06 on a 2002 conv't w/auto.
Surprisingly my Z06 rode better than the conv't. below are the differences between the two cars.

Z06 conv't
tires toyo original equipment
suspesion stk Z51

I checked the tire pressure & the conv't are 4 lbs more than stk 34/30

What are your ideas on why the Z06 rides better.

Is the Z51 package ,springs & shocks close to two the Z06
I have arthritis in my back(disabled) & its in my knees now so I opted for a auto conv't.

Is the problemw/the springs,shocks or the Z51 package?
Please advise....Don

·
Registered
Black 08, A&A TI supercharger. Kooks headers. CCW wheels. Much more
12,668 Posts
don meyer said:
Today I traded in my 2002 Z06 on a 2002 conv't w/auto.
Surprisingly my Z06 rode better than the Z06. below are the differences between the two cars.

Z06 conv't
tires toyo original equipment
suspesion stk Z51

I checked the tire pressure & the conv't are 4 lbs more than stk 34/30

What are your ideas on why the Z06 rides better.

Is the Z51 package ,springs & shocks close to two thr Z06
I have arthritis in my back(disabled) & its in my knees now so I opted for a aut0 conv't.

Is the oroblemw/the speings,shocks or the Z51 package.
Please advise....Don
May sound weird,but i would say it's the run-flat tires.(zo6 does not have).There trats are-noisy,rough ride,follow grooves in the rode,terrible traction(for racing).All these get worse as the tire wears.I would start there.Do you know someone with regular tires?Can swap for a day and see if it's what your describing.I hate run-flat.(goodyears anyway).I am probably going to try the Pirrelli 19 inch run flat later in the year when i change rims......Good luck.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
:agree: When I switched to Kumho's, I was amazed at the improvement in ride & handling. :D

·
Registered
8,067 Posts
Don,
Did you drive the vert before you bought it?

I agree that the tires are most likely the problem. If you still want runflats try Firestone Firehawks, my son had them on his 00 coupe and they were amazingly softer and quieter.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Yes, I drove the vert before buying but, it was on a newly paved rd. beside the dealership.
When driving home on a concrete rd w/expansion jointd I felt every one.

The Z06 had Toyo's which I loved.

However , that being part of the problem...what is the difference between the Z06 & the Z51 handling package on the vert.

Thanks Don

·
Registered
8,067 Posts
If I remember correctly the Z51 is stiffer sway bars and springs? making it closer to the Z06 type suspension. The Z51 option is listed as a performance handling package.

Feeling the expansion joints really screams run flat tires to me.

Are there any DC members in your area that you know of? Perhaps one of them has a C5 that isn't a Z06 and doesn't have runflats and maybe they would let you drive it and or ride with them?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Car and Driver did a comparison of the Corvette Suspension in a recent issue and compared handling and specs then upgraded the base, MSRC, and Z51 suspensions with Z06 wheels and tires. There was a dramatic improvement across the board. It was a really interesting article. Here is the comparison of the Z51 and Z06 specs which are very close. As already mentioned, I agree between your 2 cars the tires are the big difference. I recently went from base suspension and EMT's to Z06 sways and SuperCars. The cars rides better as well as handles better!

Z51
Spring Rates, Front/Rear, *lb/in: 525/634
Front Anti-Roll-Bar dia x wall thickness, in: 1.13 x 0.18
Rear Anti-Roll-Bar dia x wall thickness, in: 0.93 x 0.14
Shock Absorbers: Sachs 45mm gas-charged monotube
Wheels: F:_8.5 x 17 in,
R:_9.5 x 18 in
Tires: Goodyear Eagle F1 GS Extended Mobility,
F:_ P245/45ZR-17,
R:_ P275/40ZR-18
Curb Weight, lb: 3,293

Z06
Spring Rates, Front/Rear, *lb/in: 525/714
Front Anti-Roll-Bar dia x wall thickness, in: 1.18 x 0.18
Rear Anti-Roll-Bar dia x wall thickness, in: 0.93 x 0.14
Shock Absorbers: Sachs 45mm gas-charged monotube
Wheels: F:_9.5 x 17 in,
R:_10.5 x 18 in
Tires: Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar,
F:_ P265/40ZR-17,
R:_ P295/35ZR-18
Curb Weight, lb: 3,152

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Well it looks like everyone agrees that it's the tires. It's hard to remove tires that look new & replace them but.......

I'd like to have suggestions on which tires that have a softer ride (no Goodyears or run flats) . Anyone seen a comparison between cheaper tires like - Toyo's & Kuhmo's or have personal experience?
Thanks Guys.
Don

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
CSDMag Red01 - I also notice that the Goodyears tend to dart w/the expansion joints or other unusual contours in the road. Will the Kuhmo's help stop this or do I need more caster?
Don

·
Registered
39 Posts
I can't say that they were darty or followed road irregularities at all on the PCar but it has struts front and back so it's not a perfect comparison. The Kuhmos have a single continuous center rib to help reduce that as do the Supercars and the new GS-D3's. I notice less tendency for the Supercars to do that than the EMT's did on my car. No matter which tire, getting as much caster as you can will help recenter more quickly. I not sure it will help the tire's tendency to initially follow a groove or bump steer over a joint though. For the EMT's it comes down to the combination of tread design and sidewall stiffness.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the replies. I'm going to wait untill after X-Mas, then new tires........decisions, decisions.
Don

1 - 13 of 13 Posts