Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
for those guys that don,t THINK..they need to spend the cash for a lakewood scatter shield and think its ok to race......look thru these pictures

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?p=777548#post777548

then think what youll do when your cut clean off at the shins if the clutch/flywheel decides to come apart, I can absolutely garauntee that frame was harder to cut thru than your legs would have been!!

·
Super Moderator
8,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Banned
3,855 Posts
BEEN a LAWNG TYME....but similar destructions have taken place throug the years....and YES....

grenade proof for your legs....all else is moot....

:devil: :cheers:

·
Registered
296 Posts
I agree about a scatter sheild, lot cheaper than a new leg.
I learned this 20+ yrs ago at a high school drags event. Due to the age group and limited HP involved the tech was a little more relaxed than usual. Watched a guy launch a clutch through the floor pan and hood taking out the gas pedal in the process. Dude got extremely lucky as he was off the throttle at the moment but I still don't see how he kept his foot intact. Wild stuff!!

steve

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Question:

WOW!

I have heard of this sort of thing but never actually seen it.
After reading the posts on the other forum I have a question?

I'm redoing a 4x4 pickup right now. 355 SB balanced, off-road cam,
basically stock w / Granny gear 4-speed. Original aluminum bell housing.
The truck is going to be used as a truck............. not raced.

I had the flywheel turned and balanced along with the clutch assembly.

Should I be concerned?

·
Super Moderator
8,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
"Should I be concerned?"

you tell me!
if theres about one chance in several hundred or even one chance in several thousand that youll loose your legs of feet if the flywheel or clutch explodes (and the more wear and rpms the greater the chances) is spending under $400 worth it to you to make it almost a non-issue (safety wise) if its does ever happen??
lets put it this way, theres several hundered times more likelyhood of that clutch exploding than you ever hitting the lotto but youve bought a lotto ticket right??

or put another way, Ive seen that happen about 6 times in 35 years, chances are not high, but I saw one car almost completly cut in half when it happended.......your choice, but ID sure use a lakewood bellhousing if I had a manual trans and EVER spun the engine over about 5500rpm
ALL my race cars had and have them, its a darn small price to still have feet if it does come appart

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
"Should I be concerned?"

you tell me!
if theres about one chance in several hundred or even one chance in several thousand that youll loose your legs of feet if the flywheel or clutch explodes (and the more wear and rpms the greater the chances) is spending under $400 worth it to you to make it almost a non-issue (safety wise) if its does ever happen??
lets put it this way, theres several hundered times more likelyhood of that clutch exploding than you ever hitting the lotto but youve bought a lotto ticket right??

or put another way, Ive seen that happen about 6 times in 35 years, chances are not high, but I saw one car almost completly cut in half when it happended.......your choice, but ID sure use a lakewood bellhousing if I had a manual trans and EVER spun the engine over about 5500rpm
ALL my race cars had and have them, its a darn small price to still have feet if it does come appart

You have a valid point indeed.
It'll be on my list of must haves.

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
39 Posts
In the last 6 months i have seen 2 powerglide"s do the same thing. Just because there a automatic doesen"t make it any prettier!!!!!!!! Luckly no one got hurt bad, the one driver had quiet a limp for a couple of weeks. I had never seen a automatic blow the entire side of the case out before quiet shocking.

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
Way back in time, Don Garlits lost part of his foot to a clutch that came apart. He was running just a little more HP than we do, but doo-doo still occurs..

·
Banned
3,855 Posts
Way back in time, Don Garlits lost part of his foot to a clutch that cam apart. He was running just a little more HP than we do, but doo-doo still occurs..

Which IS , BTW....the reason Don Garlits rearranged the dragster forever, putting himself ahead of the engine, and going even faster.....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts