Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I never get tired of posting this info. It's from Dave Strickler's 1968 Camaro "Old Reliable". This is the engine I want in my Vette. Why? Because a bunch of people say "it's too small, the car won't go, you need a stroker to go fast, etc., etc., etc. This will be strictly strip...so no worries about leaving stoplights, etc.

TECHNICAL DATA
VIN number 124378N411100
Build Date 04A (first week of April)
Color Corvette Bronze
Interior Code 712, black standard
Car Shipper Shipped on April 11, 1968 to Ammon R. Smith Auto Company, York, PA
Engine Data Cubic Inches, 302
Cylinder heads #3917291, completely stock, no porting allowed!
Stock rocker arms & valve springs
Intake 302 aluminum intake, casting #3917610
Carburetor Holley, #4053, 780 CFM 4bbl
Camshaft Crane, .480 inches lift, 272 degrees duration, valve lash, .016-.016
Pistons GM 302, .030" oversize
Horsepower 456 @7700rpm
Rear Tires 9" x 30.0" Hoosier's
Rear axle & ratio 12-bolt, 5.57 Richmond Pro Gears
Clutch 10 inch, three finger from Advance Clutch Technology
Shift Points 8200 RPM
BEST ET 10.80 @122.30mph

I've stripped a lot of the dead weight so I am at or less than what the Camaro weighed. Hardest part is gonna be finding the internal parts. 302 Z-28 pistons and crank are not exactly common any more. Oh yeah....if you want to see pics and get more info on the Old Reliable, you can check it out here:
http://www.z28camaro.com/oldrel.html

DD

·
Registered
798 Posts
Sounds like you have a good plan. Did you start the build up yet, or still scrounging parts?

Good luck with it :thumbsup:

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like you have a good plan. Did you start the build up yet, or still scrounging parts?

Good luck with it :thumbsup:
Still scrounging. But all construction is on hold till I get a new garage built.
Right now the car is in storage.

·
DC Crew
53,221 Posts
I never get tired of posting this info. It's from Dave Strickler's 1968 Camaro "Old Reliable". This is the engine I want in my Vette. Why? Because a bunch of people say "it's too small, the car won't go, you need a stroker to go fast, etc., etc., etc.
Get the motor squared away then carry the front wheels for 200 feet while your rear tires beg for mercy -- and, the front tires shake with fear knowing they are about to get smashed into the asphalt. They might feel differently then.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Are you in the middle of this???

Pictures???
Click on My Corvette Photos under avatar to see pics.

Pat: It will be a 4-speed. Rev the engine up to around 8 grand and dump the clutch!!! HA! Only way to go :laughing: :thumbsup:
That's why I need to convert the rear end to a solid axle. U-joints just won't handle it with wrinkle walls.

DD

·
Registered
980 Posts
Click on My Corvette Photos under avatar to see pics.

Pat: It will be a 4-speed. Rev the engine up to around 8 grand and dump the clutch!!! HA! Only way to go :laughing: :thumbsup:
That's why I need to convert the rear end to a solid axle. U-joints just won't handle it with wrinkle walls.

DD
I meant the garage project...(I assume that the pics of your '72 are as it resides in the storage facility)

I saw the pictures posted on your other thread. Definitely coming along well, congrats.

:cheers:

·
Registered
550 Posts
5 liter small blocks rule :thumbsup:

Dry sump, a 180* crank, and 4 down draft webers or a cross ram would be cool....

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

·
Registered
550 Posts
...says the guy w/ the 502 ramjet LOL :rolling:
Hey, I've been through the engine building phase with Bikes and Car's Now I just let some one else do it.... Sure it might not be the the most HP for the buck but it sure is easy... :devil:

Remember I have a 500cc V-4 two stroke bike that makes in the neighborhood of 250hp/liter at the crank, normally aspirated :laughing:

Hmmm 500hp/5l
Hmmm 500hp/8.2l

Smells like protential to me :rolling:

Remember: Torque rules, Horsepower is just along for the ride. :lookinup: :lookinup: :D

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
I never get tired of posting this info. It's from Dave Strickler's 1968 Camaro "Old Reliable". This is the engine I want in my Vette. Why? Because a bunch of people say "it's too small, the car won't go, you need a stroker to go fast, etc., etc., etc. This will be strictly strip...so no worries about leaving stoplights, etc.

TECHNICAL DATA
VIN number 124378N411100
Color Corvette Bronze
Horsepower 456 @7700rpm
Shift Points 8200 RPM
BEST ET 10.80 @122.30mph

I've stripped a lot of the dead weight so I am at or less than what the Camaro weighed. Hardest part is gonna be finding the internal parts. 302 Z-28 pistons and crank are not exactly common any more. Oh yeah....if you want to see pics and get more info on the Old Reliable, you can check it out here:
http://www.z28camaro.com/oldrel.html

DD
At least you know "exactly" what you want to do. That's half the battle for some of us.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I meant the garage project...(I assume that the pics of your '72 are as it resides in the storage facility)

I saw the pictures posted on your other thread. Definitely coming along well, congrats.

:cheers:
I can show you a pic of the location where the garage will be put up. But that's all I have right now. I just dropped $100,000 grand on property on both sides of my house to prevent the construction of mobile homes. So I am a bit down on funding right now ;)

·
DC Crew
32,974 Posts
I can show you a pic of the location where the garage will be put up. But that's all I have right now. I just dropped $100,000 grand on property on both sides of my house to prevent the construction of mobile homes. So I am a bit down on funding right now ;)
$100,000 on property you must be from either Fl. or Cali.:laughing:

Good luck on the built that thing is gonna scream:thumbsup:

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
TT: It's being assembled by some Dutch guy in the Netherlands. :laughing:

raidmagic: I live in Silver City, NM. Property in town is like gold. I now have almost 2 acres counting the land the house is on and what I just bought. No "dealing" with sellers here. The price they say is the price you pay. What a pisser :(

·
Banned
3,855 Posts
TT: It's being assemblemd by some Dutch guy in the Netherlands. :laughing:

raidmagic: I live in Silver City, NM. Property in town is like gold. I now have almost 2 acres counting the land the house is on and what I just bought. No "dealing" with sellers here. The price they say is the price you pay. What a pisser :(

HUmmm....I just visited my sister in SFe last August....high plains sun is a whole lot differant then here in sunny Florida....

yeh, I don't blame them in lotsa ways....the nights are SO dark at her place, and the sky SO clear think I was in outer space or summfin....

302?? OK, how's my memory?? that'a small journal 327 block with a 283 crank, right???

I'd be tempted to use late L98 Aluminum heads, and hotrod injection....

stick a computer on it, I bet that little bastard good for 2000 hp at 10k rpm or something stupid like that.....

·
Registered
130 Posts

TECHNICAL DATA
VIN number 124378N411100
Color Corvette Bronze
Horsepower 456 @7700rpm
Shift Points 8200 RPM
BEST ET 10.80 @122.30mph

DD
You won't have much trouble convincing me...A friend of mine bought a brand new plain jane Nova in 1971 and built essentially that very engine combo with a 4 speed. it was one of the quickest street cars I've ever been in...scary fast :surprised

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Gene: Actually, 1968 and newer the 302 was large journal. 1967 was small journal. I want to stay as close to Strickler's 1968 specs as possible.

raidmagic: climate is pretty nice. Very little snow and it melts fast. But I get winds that hit 40+ MPH some days. And nobody thinks anything of it. Oh yeah...we get that "dry heat" too. But being up in mountains means it's not killer heat like in AZ. I moved here in 2006 from Illinois.
90s is common here but if you stay in the shade it's not bad at all. Not swamp heat like in IL.

Dep

1 - 20 of 49 Posts