Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you're fixing any wires around the HEI distributor and soldering them (the correct way), and you use a WELLER soldering gun, PLEASE make sure the key is OFF! The magnetic field around that soldering gun will cause the distributor to fire. If the key is on, and you're leaning over the fan/ alternator, if the engine is in the correct position to fire a cylinder, it could start. and leaning or laying on the fan will hurt..

:cheers:

·
DC Crew
12,250 Posts
If you're fixing any wires around the HEI distributor and soldering them (the correct way), and you use a WELLER soldering gun, PLEASE make sure the key is OFF! The magnetic field around that soldering gun will cause the distributor to fire. If the key is on, and you're leaning over the fan/ alternator, if the engine is in the correct position to fire a cylinder, it could start. and leaning or laying on the fan will hurt..

Personal experience? :huh:

·
Registered
738 Posts
And you know this How?:thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,916 Posts

Good advice Tim. As an electrician, that's like telling me to stop the car before changing a flat tire.:rolling: :rolling:

·
Registered
5,916 Posts

Seriously Tim, I hope you did not get hurt finding this out the hard way.

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
Good advice Tim. As an electrician, that's like telling me to stop the car before changing a flat tire.:rolling: :rolling:
Wait isn't that why there are runflats so you don't have to stop to change it????:rolling: :rolling: :rolling:

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I got the info at the GM training cener in KC about 1985. That old weller gun made the HEI coil throw some sparks- and it wasn't a single spark- like a Model T Ford coil- Shower of sparks

Next HEI I play with I'll video it. really I think it's kind of cool, but then I like electrosparky type stuff anyway.

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
Man, I ATTRACT that electrickery sh*t!! I swear, electricity would happily bypass a 1mm gap between platinum electrodes and go through 8 feet of rubber coated cement to earth through me! :huh:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts