Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
25,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son said he saw a youtube video yesterday of a Ford GT beating a ZR-1 in a race. I don't know much about the Ford, but I am skeptical. Anyone know how the performance of those two cars matches up??:huh:

· Registered
25,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

· Registered
793 Posts
I would guess it gets its power to the ground better since it is a mid engine car. Also believe it is lighter than the ZR-1 but not sure.

· You've been pimped!!
15,310 Posts
Ford GT

Top Speed: 205 mph / 330 km/h
0-60 mph: 3.6 seconds
0-100 mph: 7.8 seconds
0 - 1/4 Mile: 11.6 sec @ 126.2 mph
Engine: DOHC V-8, supercharged
Depending on chosen accessories, retail price varies from $143,000 to $157,000.
The Ford GT has a 5.4 liter V8 engine with 550 horsepower at 6,500 revolutions per minute. Engine torque is 500 foot-pounds at 3,750 rpm. Engine displacement is 5,409 cc and the compression ratio is 8.4-to-1. The bore and stroke measure is 3.55 inches and 4.17 inches. A six-speed manual overdrive transmission is the only one available.

ZR1

Basic Specs
Base Price $111,600
Drivetrain Rear Wheel Drive
Curb Weight (lbs) 3333
City (MPG) 14
Hwy (MPG) 21
Horsepower [email protected]
Torque (lb-ft) [email protected]
zero-to-60 mpg time of just 3.4 seconds

· Registered
2,802 Posts
This video isn't really a good comparison. No times are shown so we have no idea where either car is. And that GT isn't stock.

Realistically, both are probably fairly equal in the 1/4 mile + or - a few tenths, but that isn't what either car was built for.

· Premium Member
4,702 Posts
I've been in love with the GT 40 since they were light blue and orange colored. I would still take one over a ZR1....any day. Quite possible the ZR1 is a bit faster but the GT40 is ten year old technology and it's only 5.4 Liters vs 7 liters and they're still real close. It is a timeless design that looks as good now as it did in 1966. Just think....nearly 50 years old and it still looks like a fresh new design. Not many vehicles can make that claim. A 1966 Vette while still a classic, is dated in appearance. It looks like an old classic. The Ford GT (GT40) will never look old.

I've owned a Lotus Europa JPS for years and I'm used to crawling into and falling out of a low car.:laughing: I think the Ford GT is a lot bigger than my Lotus was. I want one.

· Registered
25,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've been in love with the GT 40 since they were light blue and orange colored. I would still take one over a ZR1....any day. Quite possible the ZR1 is a bit faster but the GT40 is ten year old technology and it's only 5.4 Liters vs 7 liters and they're still real close. It is a timeless design that looks as good now as it did in 1966. Just think....nearly 50 years old and it still looks like a fresh new design. Not many vehicles can make that claim. A 1966 Vette while still a classic, is dated in appearance. It looks like an old classic. The Ford GT (GT40) will never look old.

I've owned a Lotus Europa JPS for years and I'm used to crawling into and falling out of a low car.:laughing: I think the Ford GT is a lot bigger than my Lotus was. I want one.
I thought the LS9 was a supercharged version of the 6.2L. :huh: If the Ford is truly a mid-11 sec. 1/4 mile, it shouldn't be able to touch the ZR1 which I think is well into the 10's isn't it?

· Banned
7,797 Posts
LS9 = supercharged 6.2L. The LS7 block was not used because of questionable reliability due to the thin cylinder walls. 1/4 mile times are a horrible way to measure 2 road course cars....

· Registered
750 Posts
Stock vs. stock, the ZR1 is a faster car. Hell, I've seen a Z06 beat a GT. The GT had a pulley swap and a tune. The video also didn't state what the GT was making and I'm too lazy to go look for it, so it could very well have been faster. The ZR1 may have been missing the driver mod as well.

End of story. Close the thread.

· Registered
1,894 Posts
This video isn't really a good comparison. No times are shown so we have no idea where either car is. And that GT isn't stock.

Realistically, both are probably fairly equal in the 1/4 mile + or - a few tenths, but that isn't what either car was built for.
OH really? Why does GM put Launch Control on these cars?
1/4 mile times are in every major road test and review for a reason. Think about it?

I think you could just say that drag racing isn't the only thing it's built for. Many folks track their car to be challenged by lap times, but drag racing (1/4 mile time) is and will always be relevant.

Looking at the video, it appears the Corvette driver is not very experienced but I do agree that we don't know much about that GT. I've seen many ZR1's and Z06's get 3.6 0-60 times. I suspect if the race went a mile the ZR1 would catch up but let's not make excuses. In that race the GT smoked the Vette.

I think a 2012 100K GTR will get a considerably better 0-60 time than either car because of the AWD and Nissan's constant improvements each year. If we go by price, an (AWD) Porsche Turbo for about the price of a Ford GT will go about 3.1 0-60 and the Turbo "S" (currently the quickest Porsche) is a little more $ (180K) but will turn a 2.7 ,almost as quick as a Bugatti Veyron (2.6) for 1/10th the price. The Veyron of course will go 250+MPH for the extra million dollars plus.

I'm looking forward to the New Viper tests. Should be amazing.

I do enjoy certain aspects of the GT and I think it was great to see Ford build an exotic car.

The 1/4 mile will always be one important gold standard in testing. Show me a road test for a performance car without one?

One more thing: When people say: "It's only a few tenths", we must remember that one tenth of a second in a QM race is approx. one car length! If you loose a 1/4 mile race by 3 car lengths (3/10ths of a second) you got crushed!

· Registered
15 Posts
OK, obviously the race was won at the start. Was that because the Ford gets the power to the ground better or because the Ford driver was much more skilled than the Vette driver? :huh:
I suppose it's possible I have not kept my knowledge up to date but the white Corvette in the video is not a ZR-1. It's a convertible which last I recall makes that impossible.

· Registered
850 Posts
I had a buddy's GT for 3 days once. A truly amazing car. I am not a skilled enough driver to comment on if it is faster than a ZR1, but I sure liked the transmission better than any of the Corvettes I have owned.

Having said that, I am still a Vette man to the core.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.