Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
31,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:lookinup: Guess that is a good way to deal with a suicidal woman.. she shoulda just bought her own gun.

By Deanna Boyd

[email protected]

FORT WORTH — A woman was shot and killed by police Monday afternoon after she came at an officer with scissors, officials said Tuesday.

Stacey Burris, 46, was taken to John Peter Smith Hospital where she was pronounced dead from multiple gunshot wounds at 8:32 p.m. Monday evening.

Sgt. Pedro Criado, a police spokesman, said officers were dispatched to a suicidal person call in the 1300 block of Country Manor shortly before 8 p.m.

There, a family member told the officer that Burris was making threats to harm herself and family members, Criado said.

An officer had entered the house and was walking along a short, narrow hallway toward the woman's room when he encountered her standing in the doorway, threatening to stab herself in the throat with a large pair of scissors.

"He kept ordering her to drop them, obviously to no avail," Criado said.

Criado said a second officer had arrived in the hallway when Burris "suddenly lowered the large pair of scissors toward the first officer and came toward the officer."

Criado said the officer fired his duty weapon multiple times at the same time that the assist officer deployed his Taser at the woman.

The shooting is under investigation by the department's major crimes unit, Criado said.

Read more: http://www.star-telegram.com/2011/0...ficer.html#my-headlines-default#ixzz1NIjjpkJz

·
Premium Member
770 Posts
:lookinup: Guess that is a good way to deal with a suicidal woman.. she shoulda just bought her own gun.

By Deanna Boyd

[email protected]

FORT WORTH — A woman was shot and killed by police Monday afternoon after she came at an officer with scissors, officials said Tuesday.

Stacey Burris, 46, was taken to John Peter Smith Hospital where she was pronounced dead from multiple gunshot wounds at 8:32 p.m. Monday evening.

Sgt. Pedro Criado, a police spokesman, said officers were dispatched to a suicidal person call in the 1300 block of Country Manor shortly before 8 p.m.

There, a family member told the officer that Burris was making threats to harm herself and family members, Criado said.

An officer had entered the house and was walking along a short, narrow hallway toward the woman's room when he encountered her standing in the doorway, threatening to stab herself in the throat with a large pair of scissors.

Criado said a second officer had arrived in the hallway when Burris "suddenly lowered the large pair of scissors toward the first officer and came toward the officer."

Criado said the officer fired his duty weapon multiple times at the same time that the assist officer deployed his Taser at the woman.

The shooting is under investigation by the department's major crimes unit, Criado said.

Read more: http://www.star-telegram.com/2011/0...ficer.html#my-headlines-default#ixzz1NIjjpkJz
"Multiple" gunshot wounds? Did she brandish multiple scissors?

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
Reminds me of the joke about the Aggie robber. He walks up to a person, puts a gun to his head and says "Give me all your money or I'll blow my brains out!":crazy:

·
DC Crew
20,694 Posts
Sure sounds like Suicide by Cop. Tough to reason with the unreasonable, very unfortunate but these scenarios escalate and twist in an instant. Horrible situation from every angle. The article mentions them as large scissors, which will act just like a knife under force.

"Multiple" gunshot wounds? Did she brandish multiple scissors?
It's not like in movies where one shot would have knocked the scissors out of her hand. ;) Shoot until the threat is neutralized. Her momentum was toward an officer, at least two shots are coming.

·
Banned
12,109 Posts

By Deanna Boyd

[email protected]

:laughing:

They were supposed to defuse the situation, not kill her.:laughing:

No tasers in fort worth?:laughing:

Whatta pussy fora leo.

This has got to be a horrible ordeal for the family of the deceased.
I hope they sue the **** outta that department.

·
Grey Squirrel
22,780 Posts
Oh Well...... ever notice how a Monday morning quarterback never throws an interception.

·
Registered
12,410 Posts

·
Registered
740 Posts
Not too bright was she? :crazy:

·
Premium Member
770 Posts
Sure sounds like Suicide by Cop. Tough to reason with the unreasonable, very unfortunate but these scenarios escalate and twist in an instant. Horrible situation from every angle. The article mentions them as large scissors, which will act just like a knife under force.

It's not like in movies where one shot would have knocked the scissors out of her hand. ;) Shoot until the threat is neutralized. Her momentum was toward an officer, at least two shots are coming.
If his only chosen option regarding neutralizing a female with a pair of scissors is unloading a revolver into her, I suspect a grandiose lawsuit.

Doesn't say much for his training.

·
Registered
19,914 Posts
Just as a curiosity with some of you ****ing hippies... when does it become the fault of the person with the scissors... or a knife while you are widdling and walking in public... or the gun... or the car... or the cell phone after the car chase ?

Why is it always the fault of the pork product ?

·
Banned
31,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just as a curiosity with some of you ****ing hippies... when does it become the fault of the person with the scissors... or a knife while you are widdling and walking in public... or the gun... or the car... or the cell phone after the car chase ?

If we are gonna ****in kill em anyway, why is suicide illegal? :laughing:

·
Premium Member
770 Posts

It becomes the fault of the person with the scissors when the person being assaulted is not as well armed.

I'm sure the officer had several options other than drawing his weapon in order to neutralize his attacker.

By the way... it's "whittling."

·
I support glass stairways
5,955 Posts
No tasers in fort worth?:laughing:
Ummm, did you even READ the thread?

By Deanna Boyd

[email protected]

Hey, if the user title fits...:rolling::rolling:

·
Registered
19,914 Posts
It becomes the fault of the person with the scissors when the person being assaulted is not as well armed.

I'm sure the officer had several options other than drawing his weapon in order to neutralize his attacker.

Were you not told as a child -You should not run with scissors ? Well... there's your proof, your mother was right.

You, my friend... are a victim. You don't know it yet... but you are.

·
I support glass stairways
5,955 Posts

Yeah, let me know what you feel like the next time someone comes at you with a long sharp object...

Here's my thinking, on the basis that I'm thinking like a cop:

This woman is crazy and she's threatening to hurt or kill OTHER PEOPLE!

I have a gun, a baton, a taser, and a bullet-proof vest.

Wait, this vest will do absolutely nothing against a knife...

****, this bitch is coming at me! BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG! (I'm carrying a 1911):thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
770 Posts
Yeah, let me know what you feel like the next time someone comes at you with a long sharp object...
I'd feel like I could handle it without a gun. It's called "training."

In my case, it's martial arts.

No, I'm not a police officer, so I would expect one to be more trained than myself.

·
Premium Member
770 Posts
Were you not told as a child -You should not run with scissors ? Well... there's your proof, your mother was right.

You, my friend... are a victim. You don't know it yet... but you are.
So I'm to assume that your mother told you that if you ran with scissors, you would be shot?

Running with scissors would only injure myself. She had a weapon, sure, but the cop had no spine.

I sincerely hope that in my community, the police officers can neutralize a 40-something woman with scissors without having to put her down like a charging Pit Bull. (Which also is spineless.)

I'm no victim. You are. Of ignorance.

Must suck for you to live in such fear.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts