Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 2 months of roaming around the Warm south Wendy and I are finally home. Did I mention that roaming took in about,4500 miles on the road, and about 1000 plus miles around the Bondurant track in Chandler AZ., its nice to set still for a change.

So now here is Day one at Bondurant.

Day one was mainly car dynamics, balance, and traction. This was in the class room, on the skid pad, and on the track.

This was setting in front of the building when we arrived, more on it in another post.

Here are Bob Bondurant and his lovely Wife. Bob is a super guy, and came in just about every class room session and gave us a few pointers on driving a race care.

This is the first car I broke, bummer I really liked it. I only broke two and ran a third out of gas.

On day 2 we were on the track in C6's, and in the skid car on the pad.

Yep thats a Cadillac CTS

The third day we spent on the track most of the day learning and practicing Heal toe down shift, Trail breaking, and Rolling on the throttle coming out of the corner.

This is a class mate With her turbo Porsche which they let her take on the track for a few laps.

The fourth day was the best We wrapped it all together, with open passing, Race grid starts, and Single file race restarts with a pace car. And did I mention All of this was in Open wheel Formula Mazda's.

Dry Weight. 1140 lbs.
Weight Distribution 45/55

Dimensions:
Wheelbase... 95”
F......... 59”
R......... 58”
Length........ 156”
Width............ 51”
Ground Clearance.....1.2”

Wheels:
F.... 8x13 BBS
R.... 10x13 BBS

Engine:
Mazda 13B rotary
48 DCOE Dual Weber
185 hp @ 6300 rpm
Fuel: ... Super Unleaded

Acceleration:
0-100 ft ..................2.9 sec
0-500 ft ....................5.8 sec
0-quarter mile..............11.3 sec
Quarter mile speed......131 mph
Top speed: ...............165 mph

Transaxle:
Racing 5-speed plus reverse

Features:
adjustable shocks
sway bars
brake bias
wing angles

Can I say Z06 power to weight, with 2G cornnering...:D

The personel one on one training and the expertise of the instructors plus Bob him self. Not to mention the Office and Garage staff made this will worth every penny. And did I mention SCCA, and NASA accepted for licensing.

·
Premium Member
3,766 Posts
You need to get back to Missouri for some home cookin'. Looks like you've lost 20 pounds! I'm glad you had a good time out there. Wish we could have joined you.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Looks like an Awesome time Ivan :thumbsup:

So did your classmate in the Porsche turn faster laps in the Vette or the Porsche? :D

·
Registered
609 Posts
Looked like an awesome time. I attended in December 2008. I did the ZO6 experience though. I see from the pictures the #05 car is still there!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
6,220 Posts
Looks like it was a blast. This is definitely near the top of my bucket list.

Thanks for the photos. :buhbye:

·
Premium Member
10,260 Posts
welcome home, kids! Glad you guys had a great trip, looks like tons of fun. You timed the weather perfectly so you missed last week's 2 degree highs but made it back for today's 70 degree high :crazy:

I'm sure you're anxious to put all that new training to work out at Heartland and Mid-America, so I guess it's time to get back to work on the '71!

·
Registered
493 Posts
This was setting in front of the building when we arrived, more on it in another post.

Do you have any more pics of this one? I didnt see the other post you referred to.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Bondurant has long been on my list of things to do. I'd love to hear more about this! I'm also curious to know the story on you breaking two cars. haha.

p.s. don't go around telling people around you actually enjoyed driving a Mazda. Some people are overly sensitive about that stuff. :laughing:

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You need to get back to Missouri for some home cookin'. Looks like you've lost 20 pounds! I'm glad you had a good time out there. Wish we could have joined you.
Thanks for noticing, Actualy its only 15 pounds all around the waist. I'm feeling better than I have my whole life. Retirement is great, Getting to do what I like is even greater...:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Bondurant has long been on my list of things to do. I'd love to hear more about this! I'm also curious to know the story on you breaking two cars. haha.

p.s. don't go around telling people around you actually enjoyed driving a Mazda. Some people are overly sensitive about that stuff. :laughing:
I am a dryed in the wool Chevy man, But I will try any thing once. Now when you let me drive A 150+ mph race car, that will run for 3 years with out rebuild, and only costs $15,000. Well what can I say, I like it...:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I forgot to give a special thanks to Corey, for making me feel like I did not know how to even drive a car, and then in 4 short days correcting most of my faults... And did say he can out run a C6 on the track with a Cadillac CTS. Damn...:thud:

·
DC crew
4,102 Posts
with open passing, Race grid starts, and Single file race restarts with a pace car.

And did I mention SCCA, and NASA accepted for licensing.
Running the track with open passing is a lot of fun. Get the front of your car by their door and " Present Yourself " and go in and over take the car in a turn. Anywhere on the track! When the track allows open passing, you know there are some bad ass drivers out there.

Jr.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Looks like you had a blast Ivan! Can't wait till my turn in march!

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
welcome home, kids! Glad you guys had a great trip, looks like tons of fun. You timed the weather perfectly so you missed last week's 2 degree highs but made it back for today's 70 degree high :crazy:

I'm sure you're anxious to put all that new training to work out at Heartland and Mid-America, so I guess it's time to get back to work on the '71!
When is dinner??? :rolling: :rolling:

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
I'm jealous... It looks so much fun.

So,,, when are you coming to Michigan tracks to show me your sharpened skills?
(I always thought you were a great driver, and they can make you feel like you didn't even know how to drive?? I need to take that class...)

·
Registered
521 Posts
i need to do this i only live 20 minutes from firebird!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts