Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have my 81 down to the bare frame, I have to replace 4 of the body mount brackets, I have the two rear ones done today!. I flipped the frame over and found rot in the left rear frame rail under mount #3 (I think?) I cut the end cover off the rail, too see, The rot goes on for about 4" just on the bottom. I looked for repair sections today, and Im not sure what the vendors have, and not sure about a good fix? I was hoping to have it painted by the weekend! and need some help! ?? Should I try and find a repair piece, or fab my own, find a used piece? TIA

·
Registered
291 Posts
If you could find a frame section it would make the repair a little eaiser. One thing I would do if you do find a frame section is to weld some full length tabs on the inside of the existing section or the replacement section and drill about three or four holes in the other section and rosette weld them together, then I would fully weld the seam where they come together. This will work as a doubler for added strength at the seam. If you have to fab a section I would still use the same process. Metal finish the exterior welds and paint it.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea, I was thinking of the plug welds, I stopped at a friends house today, he threw the sections of frame I needed in a scrap metal dumpster!! Just my luck! I see vendors have the parts but the pics they show are confusing! Looks like ZIP has what I need Ill call tomorrow.

·
Registered
291 Posts
One more thing, before you cut out the bad sections take some 1 1/2' x 1/4" angle iron and tack weld it to your origonal frame out side the area of the cut out to make sure nothing moves when you remove the bad sections. Weld a cross section in or box it together to maintain all origonal deminsions. Take some measurments from the frame locator holes and check them priot to welding the repair peices in to asure nothing moves during the repair. Cut out the angle iron when you have finished. Most local scrap yards handle angle ioon, may cost and extra $20 or $30 but it will be worth it.

·
Supporting Vendor
3,771 Posts
One more thing, before you cut out the bad sections take some 1 1/2' x 1/4" angle iron and tack weld it to your origonal frame out side the area of the cut out to make sure nothing moves when you remove the bad sections. Weld a cross section in or box it together to maintain all origonal deminsions. Take some measurments from the frame locator holes and check them priot to welding the repair peices in to asure nothing moves during the repair. Cut out the angle iron when you have finished. Most local scrap yards handle angle ioon, may cost and extra $20 or $30 but it will be worth it.
VERY good advice.

I belive Caladonia Corvettes makes all the repair parts/sectons.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts