Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sometimes we get to lift the body off the frame and while separated we get to remove the old rotten floor pan as a whole and mount a new pan on each side and land with brand new floors. Unfortunately this is not the direction that all will take. So on this car we are simply patching the floors so that nobody's feet drag on the street. We will start with the passenger side. Here is the floor..

·
Premium Member
4,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
The first step of this job is to take a wire brush and remove all loose rust and rot. Once that is done, the floor should be cleaned, dried and sprayed with a primer containing a rust inhibitor..

And then we can get started on making our patch. This is made with careful measurements..

cuts..

and bends..

And then before we install this piece we spray the backside of it with the same rust inhibiting primer..

Here is my patchwork installed in the ruff..

Then I like to grind my welds down a bit and go over all seams with the 8115 panel bond adhesive..

·
DC PIT CREW BOSS
39,451 Posts
Good job. Fabrication is fun

Reactions: autowiz

·
Super Moderator
8,483 Posts
Wiz ?
I know from experience how difficult those type of repairs can be!
but I must ask,
what gauge metal is the existing floor pan and what gauge is the replacement floor panel?
what type welder, (mig, TIG, brand and model,)
what gauge wire and amps?
what shield gas was used ,
or is that flux core welder work?

BTW anyone considering similar work, its a good idea, to very carefully clean and degrease areas to be welded, (never use galvanized sheet metal the fumes are dangerous in confined areas,)
to have a CO2 fire extinguisher in arms reach,
and to remove most major electronic equipment, from the car, don,t just disconnect it, (that won,t keep it safe in all cases) and disconnecting the battery connections,
before all welding is done, electronics are easily damaged by welding done within a few yards.

·
Premium Member
4,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sometimes we get to lift the body off the frame and while separated we get to remove the old rotten floor pan as a whole and mount a new pan on each side and land with brand new floors. Unfortunately this is not the direction that all will take. So on this car we are simply patching the floors so that nobody's feet drag on the street.

As I have described I have made a carefully shaped patch that has been glued and welded down to a treated but rusty floor.

·
Banned
5,331 Posts
As I have described I have made a carefully shaped patch that has been glued and welded down to a treated but rusty floor.
When you Build A Racecar Or Own A True Race Car You do not want To Post much of it online Wiz.
Why I never posted much of my TA.
My Old Friends local know who The **** I am and Joliet Racers.

IT gets picked apart like your Floor pan Replacement Job.

There are 2 kinds of people in the world.
The Guys that do it and get it done.
WE ARE CALLED MECHANICS.

The Rest are Want A Bees as my late Bud Bill called them.

It's the same Racing.

The Corvette sees Dodges TailLights.

Or Dodge Sees Tail Lights from A Corvette.
Or A 1970 Trans Am.

·
Premium Member
4,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
When you Build A Racecar Or Own A True Race Car You do not want To Post much of it online Wiz.

Nobody is picking apart my work, bud. Except maybe you a little bit here and there. I do understand grumpy's questions and have no problems answering. I used 20ga. sheet metal and it is galvanized which is why the white soot around my welds. I mean it is borderline laughable to ask a shop that owns a pipe bender if they use mig or flux core. But I know that grumpy is a welder and knows better. Or I hope he does anyways. I will post up the other side after work tonight. We are all friends here so far as I know.

·
Super Moderator
8,483 Posts
keep in mind a lot of the posts I put out are not directly addressing anything that any one person may or may not have done,
I know from experience that a good many of the people reading through the linked threads and looking at the pictures may have never so much as removed a carpet
and most certainly don,t own a decent welder of any type or know how to use it correctly.
.nor do many of them know theres even a difference between a TIG, or MIG, or flux core welder.
Im not pointing out any flaws just trying to get the newer guys to appreciate the fact that some planing and thought goes into the repair work,
and theres some tools and materials far better suited to the repair work than what the less informed or less experienced members might think is required.
MIG and TIG, both have a firm recognized place in any shop, flux core is basically a rather inferior route to take, and no I generally use my 252 miller MIG on similar repairs.

btw love the pictures as it makes the repair work much easier for the guys that might have never done that far easier too visualize what your doing:thumbsup:

Im sure some guys have no clue what a sheet metal gauge is
short answer its a reference to metal thickness
the larger the number the thinner the metal, the idea is that gauge is the number of sheets that thick that stack up to equal 1 inch, its not exact but thats the basic concept

http://www.bestmaterials.com/PDF_Files/sheet-metal-gauge-chart.pdf

Reactions: autowiz

·
Premium Member
4,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Moving on to the drivers side. Here is the rust..

Here is the floor treated and ready for the patchwork..

Here is the canvas I am to turn into a patch..

Here we are cut out and bent into the basic shape..

And here is the glue between the layers..

·
Premium Member
4,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I love to weld and have spent many, many hours behind a welding helmet. So much so that my eyes are not as great as they use to be. But this repair is all about the glue. The welding is just to tack the sides to the cars sheet metal so everything is flush when we lay down the dynamat. And the structural integrity comes from the thicker sheet metal being attached to the front and rear of the pan. The inboard side where the rot is we just cover and make sure the floor is strong from other areas. This is how we setup a patch in a decent amount of time that will have strength and outlast the rest of the car. I have been here a few handfuls of times. And I think the shaping of the floors shows as much..

·
DC Crew
32,974 Posts

There are 2 kinds of people in the world.
The Guys that do it and get it done.
WE ARE CALLED MECHANICS.

The Rest are Want A Bees as my late Bud Bill called them.

It's the same Racing.

The Corvette sees Dodges TailLights.

Or Dodge Sees Tail Lights from A Corvette.
Or A 1970 Trans Am.
Nobody picked anything apart. It's not unreasonable to think he cut the old floor in the shape of the new patch. I didn't see that in the pics so I asked.

·
Premium Member
4,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
And from underneath we can see how easily all of this could just disappear under a layer of rubberized undercoat..

And from the front..

And the passenger side..

·
Premium Member
4,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Nobody picked anything apart. It's not unreasonable to think he cut the old floor in the shape of the new patch. I didn't see that in the pics so I asked.
It's ok. No worries. I understood your question.

Did you cut out the old or just put this over it?
And felt stupid that I did not include this picture for the passenger side..

That was my bad. I was trying to push the before and after more than the in between and how I got there. I apologize for that.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
That's a nice repair given the owner did not want it replaced. I basically decided to cut out all the bad rusted places in my pans and replaced with pans I made myself. My floors did not have enough metal left to do what you did. If you haven't done sheet metal before it's not that hard just time consuming. Plus I saved a few hundred dollars.

·
Premium Member
4,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Here is the drivers side buried under a layer of dynamat and ready for the new carpets..

·
Premium Member
4,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
And the molded carpets fit like a glove..

And yes that is a vintage air kit going into a '78-'82..

1 - 20 of 24 Posts