Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 84 is missing its center portion of the lower front air dam. apparently the previous owner scraped it up good and probly broke it off on a parking curb or something similar. there are heavy scuff marks on the lower front frame stubs that stick down to act as ? skid bumpers I guess

any how, driving around town im good, but on the highway going any faster than 60 mph my tempature slowly climbs and gets hotter than id like it to. - I believe it to be the fact that there is no lower air foil scooping air up in to the radiator, so I ether have to get one, or make one.

lm not super shure if I can bolt a facotry piece back on, as there might be missing brackets and broken mounting tabs or what not, maby in the daylight I can climb under the car and snap off some pictures and you guys can let me know if im missing any major stuff,

but I was also thinking I could maby make my own lower air scoop?
out of some sheet aluminum, I would just have to figure out how and where to mount it, and support it so it wont flex too much at high speed.
if not
then id like to know where you guys would sugguest getting a replacment air dam for a good price. I realley dont like ebay, but I will if its going to be alot cheaper than a mail order place. wich ones do you guys like? im not a big fan of ecklers, they are kinda pricy!

·
Premium Member
5,157 Posts
Odd that you mention the front spoiler - mine's not in perfect shape, and I was looking at eBay the other day for a replacement set.

I found most of the 3 piece sets going for about $70 - $80.

Then I opened my Summer '07 mini-catalog from Ecklers, and I see that they have a repro set for $50.

So, you might want to take a look at Eckler's and see. That price also seems competitive with Mid America.

Steven

·
Registered
738 Posts
I highly recommend putting the air dam all the way back together, fix whatever you have to. It will definately affect your cooling AND it looks Buba to not have it on there

·
El Teafive
10,489 Posts
Corvette Central Air dam is like $40..

I need to order some parts too, it Ecklers has EVERYTHING I need I will get from them.. there are 2 pieces I need from the dealer though that these places use to sell

·
Registered
111 Posts
I'd make some phone calls to those places.
They might have old/discontinued parts not listed in their online or mail out catalogs.
Won't hurt!

·
Premium Member
7,092 Posts
I replaced all 3 on my '86 a few years back. You'll probably need to replace the center support bracket because it usually breaks also. If I had a pick I'd post it up for ya.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Mine was beaten up so I replaced it with a big mouth air dam. Looks mean now, and I guess it helps with airflow too.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Radiator Grille Panel????

Hey all...new guy here. Recently bought an 86 Cpe and found that the center front air dam was missing. Ordered a new set and went to put them on BUT the center piece has no place to bolt to? Have searched and there is just no place where it bolts. The side pieces are fine and will work great but again, nothing to bolt center to. Got out the shop manual and they show a "Radiator Grille Panel"....nothing on my car that resembles this but again, it doesn't appear that anything is missing either. I assumed that the previous owner had ripped out the original on a parking block or something but there is no damage or missing parts....at a loss??

Steve in Denver

·
Registered
159 Posts
If your temps are slowly climbing above 60mph, then you have another problem some where else in the cooling system. Its not the missing air dam.

I've had my Vette for 4 years without the front air dam. And while driving at speed my temps stay at 179* to 189* depending on the weather WITHOUT the fan on. (I have a manual switch for the fan, and I think I also have a 160* thermostat)

Last year I got around to putting the front air dam on the car and my operating temps did not change.

So I don't believe putting on the front air dam is going to solve your rising temperature problem.

tempature slowly climbs and gets hotter than id like it to.
What's hotter that you'd like?

·
DC Crew
32,974 Posts
Hey all...new guy here. Recently bought an 86 Cpe and found that the center front air dam was missing. Ordered a new set and went to put them on BUT the center piece has no place to bolt to? Have searched and there is just no place where it bolts. The side pieces are fine and will work great but again, nothing to bolt center to. Got out the shop manual and they show a "Radiator Grille Panel"....nothing on my car that resembles this but again, it doesn't appear that anything is missing either. I assumed that the previous owner had ripped out the original on a parking block or something but there is no damage or missing parts....at a loss??

Steve in Denver
I don't have the stock one anymore but I'll get Dan85 to get you a picture of his, I kno w his car is on jack stands at the moment.:thumbsup:

·
DC Crew
32,974 Posts
Hey man, good thinking but I don't have a center air dam either. :laughing:

Sure the original owner landed it on a parking curb somewhere back in 1985.
Figures.:laughing: I thought you had replaced it at one time. Oh well. I tried.:smack

·
Registered
914 Posts
I made my own out of aluminum with different mounting holes to have it lower or higher. It really makes a difference in the summer time when it's hot outside. If it wasn't on my car it would over heat if I ran the AC while driving at highway speeds. Just like you said my car would get hotter and hotter without it. And since my car has a C5 body kit I only have the center section anyway. This piece is so critical the factory made them larger on the 1987 up camaros with 350 cubic inch engines to help with cooling.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
51 Posts
I just put one of the 3 piece sets on from Ecklers, 50.00. It fit like a glove. I had the taller version ones from Corvette America but tore one off on a curb. Just to tall with a lowered car, they hit everything. The CA ones didn't fit for crap either!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts