Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really doubt anyone knows anything about this, but my father keeps bothering me about it. He doesn`t really understand that the AIM tells more than most (all?) people know...

We have just mounted the front bumper bracket. This monster here is the front bumper bracket:

When I bought the car, it scraped every speed bump because that bracket had sunken an inch or two lower than when the car left the factory. After painting most of the frame and that monster we`ve now got problems finding how the thing should be aligned. What I found in the AIM compares the height of that bracket with some of the bodymounts. But it doesn`t say which of them. I think he tried measuring all of them and got nothing like the measurements in the AIM. And no, he has measured the frame with some fancy modern laser tools and it`s not bent or damaged.

We have installed it on the car in a way that makes everything else fit correctly to that bracket but he still don`t think that`s good enough. The front end has now been lifted excactly 4 cm but we don`t know if that`s enough or too much. These cars probably left the factory with pretty big differences between them anyways so I tell him it`s probably plenty good enough.
p... p... pppp... Plenty!

After lifting the front end it now looks like the doors fit a little better but we haven`t adjusted them properly yet. We also expect the hood to fit better after mounting it.

I`d appreciate it if anyone knows anything we don`t but I really doubt it. It might be hidden somewhere in the AIM. It`s not always easy finding what your looking for in that book. And please excuse my bad attempt at "englishing"

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
Does this image help at all?

·
Registered
442 Posts
I dont know what it should be, but once I put all 8 bolts in and attached the fiberglass bumper braces, I raised the thing all the way up as far as it would go, and it fit almost perfectly. My nose is loose, so I am just aligning the fenders to the doors and checking the body lines with string to make sure it is were it should. I really don't think there is a measurement anywhere, myself.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Hi and yep your english is excellent:thumbsup: the way i see it is the nose is bonded on at the factory in a jig. so somewhere in the AIM there should be a section on replacing the nose? maybe as i dont have a AIM for my 79. All i have done to mine is get the door adjusted at the back then jacked up front to somewhere near right gap,tighten mounts and fixed the bonding that was broken at firewall join near pillar.
If its not in the AIM it proberly does not exsist anymore?maybe:huh:have fun:D

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
Raise your bumper brace up to the hood surround panel. Install the bolt and cushion loosely. Install and align the hood with the fender tops.

When you are satisfied with the fit of the hood, tighten the bolts on the bumper brace. Tighten the headlight header bar to fender skirt brackets.

Bumper crash bar, honeycomb, and front bumper cover install after the brace is where you want it.

Shipy59: the 79 and earlier braces are different from those on the 80-82s.

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone, the hood is not mounted on the car, but we will adjust the front clip to the doors. It has to be lowered a little bit from where we lifted it. My father will probably have to do it himself, I`m leaving for Scotland again tonight.

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
My advice is to install the hood before making any further front clip adjustments. Once you have the hood where you want it (good fit, good gaps, etc), then make clip adjustments.

:thumbsup:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts