Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
DC Pit Crew
10,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
after a bit of a hiatus I'm finally putting some time into the 'vette again (see My Car Has Scars [wrecked '69]). Once the headlight assemblies, front bumper and bumper supports are removed the only thing holding the front clip on the car is the bonding at the firewall. The lack of separate fenders give this body its sleek sexy look, but make removal a and repairs a pain in the ass. I looked at this guys web page (which was VERY helpful) several times before tearing into this task, but there was still a bit of a learning curve:
http://www.corvette-restoration.com/restoration/body_and_interior/070923_front_clip_removal.htm

He talks about most of the techniques and where it's necessary to break the bonds, so I won't duplicate too much of his effort but will post some pics to give you a different view and highlight the spots that gave me some trouble...

Once you get the putty knife started above the wiper compartment it goes pretty well.

Looking forward at the rear edge of the clip on the driver's side where it's bonded to the firewall:

You can barely see the seam between the fender and the flange on the firewall:

The bottom was already separated from the impact, so it was a good starting point:

Everything was going pretty smooth until I got to the top.

It seems that there was quite a bit of bonding agent up there and it split layers of fiberglass rather than breaking the bond:

I had even more trouble on the passenger side preventing the putty knife from cutting into the fiberglass of the fender. I'm not sure if it was due to the amount of bonding agent used on my car or how dull the putty knife was or just rookie mistakes. The passenger side fender is still quite salvageable, but will require some repair.

·
DC Pit Crew
10,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Once the bonding was broken on both sides and the vacuum and wiring harness were disconnected it was time to lift the clip off the body. This was a little tricky with so little structure left on the driver's side, but it wasn't too bad.

here are a few pictures of the firewall where it's tough to see what you're working with until you get the clip off. There is a piece missing in this pic that blocks off the 4th gill. I'll see if I can get a picture of it tomorrow.

I found all kinds of stuff in this pile of dirt and dust, including lots of broken glass, screws, rubber seals, a large piece of bent up coat hanger, and a door handle clip. :laughing:

smoke if you got 'em!

All in all the birdcage looks to be in decent shape from what I can see. Hopefully I can avoid that project while I'm at it :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Great to see you are making some progress again. :thumbsup:

Do you have a new front clip?

·
DC Pit Crew
10,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great to see you are making some progress again. :thumbsup:

Do you have a new front clip?
thanks, man. no new clip yet, but will be ordering one once I have the room in the garage :laughing:

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
thanks, man. no new clip yet, but will be ordering one once I have the room in the garage :laughing:
Better get on that then. :laughing:

·
Supporting Vendor
3,770 Posts
When I was going to do this a few months ago I found good used GM front clips for $500 or less. Maybe something to look at, these were for the 73-79 so maybe the chrome cars are more?

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
This has "while Im at it" written all over it :laughing:
Looking good so far Jason :thumbsup:

·
Registered
112 Posts
Good to see dome progress - and it sure does have 'while I am at it' written all over it.....

Keep us posted on the updates.

Lester

·
Sir Dude
17,444 Posts
That looks great Jason. can't wait to get down to see the beast with out the front clip.

found my camber problem Doh!. I did not tighten the jamnuts on the right smart strut...

Do you have 220 in yor garage? when you get the engine out I can bring the welder and grind down and get a better looking weld on the top of that A-arm brace. I can also bring the torch and we can work on the Z bar mount...:D

Of course you get to do the feed bags this time...

Looken good Bro. Let me know when you get the jeep home.

·
DC Pit Crew
10,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That looks great Jason. can't wait to get down to see the beast with out the front clip.

found my camber problem Doh!. I did not tighten the jamnuts on the right smart strut...

Do you have 220 in yor garage? when you get the engine out I can bring the welder and grind down and get a better looking weld on the top of that A-arm brace. I can also bring the torch and we can work on the Z bar mount...:D

Of course you get to do the feed bags this time...

Looken good Bro. Let me know when you get the jeep home.
yikes! good thing you caught the jam nuts before they backed out much further! :surprised

No 220 in the garage, but there certainly is easier access to that seam with the clip off. Clear access to the Z-bar bracket as well. That's really the biggest thing preventing the car from being able to move under its own power. Will have to take it for a spin once we get that straightened out :laughing:

We have a wedding to go to this Friday in Lawrence so we'll pick it up on the way home. Then it's off to Lincoln on Saturday for the Husker game and back on Sunday for an engagement party. Just another relaxing weekend :thud:

·
Sir Dude
17,444 Posts
yikes! good thing you caught the jam nuts before they backed out much further! :surprised

No 220 in the garage, but there certainly is easier access to that seam with the clip off. Clear access to the Z-bar bracket as well. That's really the biggest thing preventing the car from being able to move under its own power. Will have to take it for a spin once we get that straightened out :laughing:

We have a wedding to go to this Friday in Lawrence so we'll pick it up on the way home. Then it's off to Lincoln on Saturday for the Husker game and back on Sunday for an engagement party. Just another relaxing weekend :thud:
I'm going to have to take a nap just listening to your plans...:rolling::rolling::rolling:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts