Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
body off frame, paint stripped, looking at all the messed up stuff that even bad paint job hid, there aint a panel on this car without some kinda damage, anyway looks like removing front clip and possibly cowl panel to repair some cage rust issues would be next step, any advise, pics or prior experiences anyone could share would be appreciated

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the link, saw that one before, and i have seen a couple others where they talk or show removal, but i still havent seen anyone reinstalling the front clip, i think the firewall will be easier because it rivets and bonds so the rivet holes will help with re-alingning it, but that front clip just bonds, and i know postioning is critical

·
Premium Member
10,260 Posts
since you're re-using the same clip you can drill a few pilot holes through the clip and the flanges on the firewall before you remove it. Then you can use some cleko's or screws to get it lined up during re-installation.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I've now been through this process start to finish and, let me tell you, it's a lot of work! I've been posting pretty detailed updates over on my website which have plenty of photos and descriptions. If you haven't seen it yet, you may find it useful. The process of removing the front clip starts at this update, followed by removing the firewall, repairing the birdcage, etc...

http://www.corvette-restoration.com/restoration/body_and_interior/070923_front_clip_removal.htm

I now have the firewall and front clip completely reinstalled (I used a replacement front clip as Bubba did his usual best with my original), but I haven't gotten the chance to post photos and narratives regarding the reinstallation process. But, if you send me a PM, I can forward you a set of instructions for installing a replacement one piece front clip. I used them when I did mine, and although they weren't as detailed as they could have been, I found them to be pretty useful.

Good luck!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for all the responses, that restoration page is a great guide, anxious to see re-install, we'll also drill some guide holes and maybe some markings of some kind for re-alignment. with what weve done so far on this car, not gonna leave anything un done. she will be sweet

1 - 7 of 7 Posts