Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I spend the morning doing some detailing. As I expected, I found some issues that will need to be addressed.

For reference, this is a 1977.

I took the spoiler off and noticed it was cracked (in a few places). I was planning on cleaning and painting it, but now I'm thinking it should be replaced. For ordering a part is "front spoiler" enough information? Does it have a proper name?

Next I took this part off. It's in pretty good shape, aside from some road rash. I'm just painting this and returning it to it's rightful place.

Here's a problem. Under the front quarter panel, there's a thin metal strip. It contains the nuts that the previous two parts bolt into, but this strip is badly rusted. It is attached with one rivet and also held by the bolts that hold the previous two parts. It looks like it would be pretty simple to replace - when I call for the part, what should I ask for? Does it have a name?

Also - When I was removing the retaining screws, it appeared that they were all alike. After cleaning them, I realized that they are not. Five of them have a longer thread pitch (about 10 threads per inch), and the remaining 15 or so have a finer pitch (about 18 threads per inch). Does anyone know which location takes the five coarse screws?

I may have partly found my own answer.

It appears that the body colour piece is a valance, and the rusted parts are called "fender valance reinforcement".

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sorry ot, but please use 2 jack stands. We don't want an accident to happen to a fellow vette enthusiast.:thumbsup:
:laughing: I was waiting for someone to comment that I had used the sway bar for the jack stand! I have four jack stands. Three are under the frame. I felt that it was solid, but since I still had the jack and another stand, I slid them under the car too. The three stands not visible, are actually the ones doing the work. The jack and the one you see are points closest to my head and are there in case the three real holding points fail.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts