Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to lower my Z06 with the Zip Corvette's lowering kit. I took the sway links off, lower shock bolts and lower A-arm bolt off, but when i tried to remove the front lowering bolt it would not budge.

I had my car lowered on the stock bolts last year by my mechanic, the passengers side seems ok, but the drivers side is stuck. I also see alittle rust around the bolt in the spring, used wd-40 but still wouldnt't budge.

I'm affarid of stripping or cracking the bolt. I used a 10mm socket and a 10mm open end wrench, i only tried by hand since i hear the leaf spring could be stripped, anyone had this problem and any fixes? Any help would be great.

I really can't wait until i get the cash for the Pfadt Coil Overs!!

Thanks, Patrick :cheers:

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nobody has had this problem?

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
The only thing I'm thinking of is the pressure on the leaf spring. I'm pretty sure you know what you are doing, but that was the same thing that happened to me when I lowered my Z on stock bolts. I turned about 1/2 turn and then it wouldn't budge. I re-read the write-up and then took the tension off the transverse spring. Next thing I know it was like butter. I'm pretty sure you've done that. Maybe some more WD-40 on there. Maybe a plasma cutter, :laughing:

Good Luck

Josh

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had the exact same problem, I got the passenger side done but I couldn't move the drivers side at all and I ended up stripping the bolt, so I took it into a shop to get it lowered and they charged me 300 bucks and still it isn't lowered:thud: . WD-40 wont really penetrate into the bolt to help it turn. What you are going to need is some liquid wrench, that stuff works wonders. I hope your bolt cracks easier than mine. You may also want to try to decrease the pressure on the leaf spring. Good luck and let us know how it comes out.:thumbsup:
Sam

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Josh and Sam, thanks for the replies. :thumbsup:

I used the floorjack to put pressure on the leaf spring, even after i had the drivers side lower A-arm off, and it still wouldn't budge.

I seen some rust around the bolt and in the spring threading, so im guessing this would be my problem, i dont drive in the rain, so i dont know how it could really rust, i guess i wash the car to many damn times :crazy:. I bought liquid wrench and will try again tomorrow.

I used WD-40 on the bolt but nothing happened, i bought some Mobil 1 Synthetic grease and will wipe that crap everywhere when im done. :bang

I'll update tomorrow, hopefully with good news. :buhbye:

Thanks, Patrick :partyon:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts