Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey:

Here in CA. i hear i have to have two license plates on my car. That's going to look like crap! Well anyways, is there away i could one on the front without drilling into my car. On the front, is there something i could like pull off and put the plate there?

How did you guys get two plates on yours?

Jon

·
Registered
173 Posts
front plates, we don't need no stinking front plates!

If you want to be a proper and law abiding citizen, comply... no one that I know wears a front plate. Maybe some of the other CA guys will chime in. I personally think they have too many rules here, but I'm a rebel and don't want to misquide youth. But no front plate will be seen on my car.
Roger;)

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
IL has the same law. I haven't run with a front plate for a long time. Not stopped yet, but it can happen. Wifey wants a front plate on her 95 because she likes the vanity plate. There's no front plates on my T-Birds since 79.:cheers:

·
DC Crew
32,974 Posts
CorvetteBoy said:
Hey:

Well anyways, is there away i could one on the front without drilling into my car. On the front, is there something i could like pull off and put the plate there?

How did you guys get two plates on yours?

Jon

Are you asking where it goes or are there other places you can put it?
If you remove the Corvette plate on the front it would go there. There are two screws on the top of the plate and it comes right off.

·
Registered
Black 08, A&A TI supercharger. Kooks headers. CCW wheels. Much more
12,668 Posts
no front plate for me-never pulled over yet.the c5 front looks terrible without the filler/cover.

·
Registered
990 Posts
two plates required here in Ohio also. Vast majority of Ohio vettes do not carry front plates and the law is cracking down now. Old chicken sh-- here has a front plate on mine, never could break the law................:rolling:

·
Registered
321 Posts
When I got my car and only had the temp tag on the back I got pulled over twice. The first guy realized that I wouldn't have a front and was good about it but the second time, Barry Fife came right up to the door and told me I had to have a front plate. After pointing out that it was a temp on the back he wanted to see all the paperwork and took what seemed like an hour before letting me go. Don't you love it when you can see your tax dollars hard at work.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Michael Malone Smith said:
two plates required here in Ohio also. Vast majority of Ohio vettes do not carry front plates and the law is cracking down now. Old chicken sh-- here has a front plate on mine, never could break the law................:rolling:
Ohio is bad. I ran with no front plate for about 3 weeks.
I was in Wal-Mart for about 30 minutes. I walked out to the Corvette and there was an Ohio Highway Patrol parked close. (I park way out because I don’t like dings or runaway shopping carts).

I opened the trunk and the cop came up and asked where is the front plate. It was in the trunk, so I held it up and said “right here”. I think he thought I was being a smartass because he made me put it on before I left.
I just wonder how long he was sitting out there waiting for me.

I agree, Tax dollars hard at work.

·
DC PIT CREW BOSS
39,518 Posts
My sig says it all

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
NJ has the same 2 plate rule. Sometimes they let you slide, other times it's a $75 fine! I guess it kind of depends on which cop had a bad night or got a hold of a bad donut that morning.

·
DC Crew
53,221 Posts
I've been a Vette owner for 3 years. Never had run a front plate.

Although the Illinois plate is nice (white with blue/red) and matches my GS very well, I am not going to run a front plate! The car looks much better without one.

I haven't been hassled or anything. (thank god):thumbsup:

·
Registered
6,158 Posts
I have a front plate on the 91 because of the plate itself makes sense to have it on the front. I still like how the front of the car looks with a plate on.

The front "Corvette" cover comes off with two screws and you put the plate in its place.

I'll take pics tonight just to show you it doesn't look that bad if you want.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Massachusetts has two different "regular" plates. The newer ones have red letters and were issued with 2 plates. The older ones have green letters and came with only 1 plate...for the rear. It is legal to continue to run with the old green plate, but if you have the newer red plate(s) you have to use both!?? Now...many of the older plates are now almost illegible because of age and fading!!! Somehow, that's ok...but running with only one red lettered plate is against the law.

Hubby and I have the newer plates, but only put one on the rear of 3 of our vehicles. If stopped, I'll go to court and defy the law based on the above description of faded, illegible plates still legal. How can the state allow that but still give tickets to the new ones??

MA is full of bureaucratic idiots...as is well known! The law seems to go two ways around here. We'll see what happens if I do get stopped and ticketed...although I have to say I don't know too many folks who have run into problems.

Elaine

·
Registered
257 Posts
bkuper I was thinking of that plate but I do not want the front plate.

If the cops want to ticket you they will. You have to be willing to suck it up if you get a ticket. I have a modified full size Chevy truck in addition to our Vette. The front bumper had a frenched in license plate with a molded smoke plexiglass cover. You could see the plate only if you were right in front of the truck. Well I was driving the H-3 over here and there was 2 officers pulling people over for speeding. I was thinking cool I was not speeding no problem. Wrong!!! One of the cops gets into the middle of the highway the motions for me to pull over. He says that he is giving me a ticket for no front plate. I advised him that there is a plate there. He looked and agreed with me. Then he said I am going to give you a ticket for obstruction of my license plate. He did say that the set up did look nice.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Toolman said:
Well I was driving the H-3 over here and there was 2 officers pulling people over for speeding. I was thinking cool I was not speeding no problem. Wrong!!! One of the cops gets into the middle of the highway the motions for me to pull over. He says that he is giving me a ticket for no front plate. I advised him that there is a plate there. He looked and agreed with me. Then he said I am going to give you a ticket for obstruction of my license plate. He did say that the set up did look nice.
I dont know why some cops have to be such tools! If he liked how it looked why be a dick! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
257 Posts
84 GRANDSPORT said:
I dont know why some cops have to be such tools! If he liked how it looked why be a dick! :rolleyes:
Hey, when you say the guy was a "tool" I take offence.:laughing: Yeah, I think that by the way the guy was talking he was a rookie and he was doing what his boss was tell him to do.

Tim

1 - 20 of 29 Posts