Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got pulled over yesterday for the first time for no front plate. I suppose I figured it would happen sooner or later. The State Trooper was polite and didn't give me a ticket - but did give me a written warning. The warning came in the form of a computerized print out - so my guess is I'm now in a database that can be accessed from a patrol car as having been warned once already. If the "written" warning was just that - written, then I'd likely roll on, but now I'm fairly certain the next stop will result in a "real" ticket. So...

Looking at the Zip and Top Flite offerings - I'm a bit concerned with the 3M adhesive nature of the Top Flite offering, but I'm equally concerned with what appears to be "slide in plate mounting" on the Zip. Any issues with either?

Funny side story... The wife calls me as I'm sitting on the road side waiting for the Trooper to return...

Me: Hello.
Her: Hey, watcha doing?
Me: Looking at the pretty red and blue lights in my rear view mirror.
Her: Oh No! How fast were you going?
Me: 35.
Her: No Freaking Way!
Me: Yep. Got busted doing 35 for a front plate infraction.
Her: Where were you at?
Me: Wallis.
Her: Crap - I hate that town. Those local sheriffs will get you for anything.
Me: Nope - Texas finest got me on this one. Just a warning though...

So the Trooper returns and heard me laughing while on the phone.

Trooper: You weren't laughing at me were you?
Me: Oh no! That was my wife on the phone and I told her I got pulled over. The first question she asked was how fast?
Trooper: Did you tell her 120?

At that point we both had a good laugh, talked about Corvettes in general, and then he told me to take it easy and have a good day.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's pretty cool. Does it stick out when it's retracted? Who makes it?

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
I had exactly the same experience yesterday. I was driving home from my 3000 mi roadtrip out west when I passed a Texas state trooper just west of Sweetwater on I-20. He was sitting still radaring the eastbound lanes and I had the cruise control set at about 72 in the 70 mph zone. I thought I was A-OK but he immediately hit the lights and pulled in behind me. He asked how many times I had been pulled over for no front plate and I told him never. He checked it on his computer and gave me the same computerized warning ticket you described. I'm sure I am In the system now. I think I am going with the Top Flight. I think that Lubbock court case started all of this. They have never given me a second look before.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lubbock court case?

I haven't been on in a while. Lost my password but managed to find it today. What's the skinny on the case?

I'm glad your Trooper was of the same mind as mine. Although mine didn't ask if I'd ever been pulled over before. He did "qoute" the regs to me (in a nice way - no lecture). I think he felt the stop was as silly as I did. My guess is he's just following orders.

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
Lubbock court case?

I haven't been on in a while. Lost my password but managed to find it today. What's the skinny on the case?

I'm glad your Trooper was of the same mind as mine. Although mine didn't ask if I'd ever been pulled over before. He did "qoute" the regs to me (in a nice way - no lecture). I think he felt the stop was as silly as I did. My guess is he's just following orders.
The thread below is one I started about two weeks ago after reading an article in the Fort Worth Star-Telegram. It explains it pretty well. Amazing it took less than three weeks for me to get caught in the trap. :crazy:

http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=144216

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
If you are in TX yes the first is a verbal, with you in the system. Second time ticket. I just asked my buddy who works as a LEO about this he told me it sux but they are enforcing it ( he owns a vette). He said State Troops are going to be the worse about this they are told Make D m sure they enforce it.
PS the tinted windows is a 1000 dollar fine plus, make sure you have the little sticker that says that you meet the standard for TX.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Read the "Lubbock" thread. Just to be clear, I was doing 35mph in a 35 mph zone when I got pulled over. I had always heard that they simply wouldn't bother with you unless you were doing something else wrong. It appears the "game" has changed.

I don't mind driving with the front plate as I can't see it on the front anyway. But once I park it I want the plate off - or hidden. What we need is a plate designed to "disappear" when the ignition is off and to reappear when we start the car.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Found a motorized plate that's pretty neat from Altec. It's their Retractable Front License Plate Holder - 400U. Anyone have this on their C6?

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
All of The retractables I have seen put the plate off-center. It looks terrible to me. The TFR looks pretty good, but I hate the $200 price tag for mount and frame.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
All of The retractables I have seen put the plate off-center. It looks terrible to me. The TFR looks pretty good, but I hate the $200 price tag for mount and frame.
I guess it's a personal preference, but I like the look of the "off center" plate. The "point" on the nose of the C6 is a hard curve to match and I'm not sure any of the vendors have done it justice. But - as I said - this is certainly a personal preference on my part. Damn I hate to jack with the looks of the front. What a waste... Like giving a beauty queen a butch haircut...

I'm leaning toward a right side mount so I don't have to look at the plate as I walk away from my parking spot at work...

Speaking of plates... I have NO idea where my original second plate is, so I'll likely use this as an excuse to order custom plates. There is a black star plate available that will look a whole lot better on the car than the white one does. I didn't mind so much when it was only the rear plate - but if it's out front....

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
WARNING - PERSONAL PREFERENCES EXIST IN THIS POST...

OK - So I've been struggling with this for a week now. Plate on - Plate off. Can't bring myself to pull the trigger on mounting brackets that I'll likely never mount. I like the off center style of the Zip, but no reviews makes me a bit uneasy. Seems everyone likes the Top Flite - but I'm not a big fan of the center mount and the 90 degree front (yes - I know it's curved to match the nose - but it's still perpendicular to the ground). What I really want is a angle mount - say 45 degrees or so to keep it from looking like a wall <- PERSONAL PREFERENCE. ;)

As I "browse" the net looking for solutions I find several offerings that appeal to "my" taste, but I'm stil bummed that I have to pay to mount something I don't want in the first place. So I dig out the original plate holder (yes - that gosh awful monstrosity from GM) and I begin to experiment... :D

Seems the plastic GM mount will slip between the top of the grill and the bottom flat of the front nose. Now that's a tough mental picture so bear with me. The underside of the front nose - at the top - where the grill attaches is what we're after. If you were laying on your back with your head at the front bumper you would be looking at the top of the grill and the bottom flat of the nose.

At any rate, the grill snaps on to the car and there is a gap where the center grill support contacts the bumper. It's not a big gap - but the thin plastic of the GM mount will slide right in. If you do this you will have the GM plate mount at a 45 degree angle (or there abouts). For me - this is the "look" I'm after (even if it is centered).

To attach I drilled two holes into the plastic GM plate mount on each side (4 holes total). The holes were top and bottom - not side by side. These were drilled about 2 inches below the top of the GM plate and were spaced about half an inch apart.

I then ran two long plastic locking wire ties into the holes - one on each side - with the "ends" sticking out the back. With the ties in place I mounted the plate and slid the whole assembly onto the front of the car, carefully inserting the frame into the gap. I then reached behind and under the car - grabbed the wire tie ends - pulled them around a center grill bar on each side - and connected the ties, pulling carefully a bit at a time on each side until the whole assembly was secure.

Stepping back - the plate is clearly visable - not hidden by anything - and would appear to follow the "letter of the law". I placed some double sided tape where the bottom of the GM plate holder touches the finish of the bumper to ensure it does not get scratched, but the plan is to replace this with some type of dark "stick on" felt pad that I'll pick up this week at a hobby store.

I'll test tomorrow on the drive into work and report back. I took photos, but don't want to upload until I'm sure this works....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts