Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finaly after 2-1/2 years of driving with out a front plate Officer Pfister nailed me. As I was driving toward him at a cool 30 in a 30, he flips on his lights and spins a u-turn just as he passes me. 60 bucks for the first offence. As a FOP member I thought he would let me slide. In the last three days I have seen 12 vettes w/o front plates, as well as numerous Porsches. Officer Pfister is our neighborhood cop who nabs the soccor moms doing 40 in a 30. I'm sure the the second offence will cost me more now that I'm on his "list". Needless to say I spent the next few days looking for a alterative to the factory front plate mount. I've included picyures of my $15.00 no holes, removable answer.
PS. This is my first time trying to post pics here....HELP!

Attachments

·
Registered
313 Posts
Being a MD person myself, it's only a $60.00 ticket. I have a state trooper who stalks me. About every 3 months, although we are on a 9 month dry spell (I changed up my route to and from work). I think we should talk to our congressmen and women and get this stupid law changed, atleast for corvettes.

Although nice no holes mod. I just can't do it.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Don't they have anything better to do. Almost every bmw I see doesn't have a front plate. Lots of other Euro cars too. Just an easy way to get $$$ out of us. :WTF

~Jim

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The bracket is held on by 3M tape. I hope to run by Officer Pfister a time or two so that he will see my front plate. Then I will drive with the plate in the trunk. I can re-install the plate via the thumb screws faster then he can radio for backup. If all goes well I hope to remove the bracket and all.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I feel your pain. I'm living on borrowed time right now. Just cruising today I had two locals look me over and I thought the last one would get me for sure as they had a long time to look me over at the light. A buddy of mine got a ticket from the troopers and it was $85 bucks and two points. I bought the removeable unit from Top Flight and installed it last weekend. But, I'm still running without the plate attached. I'm hoping I can them I just "forgot" to reattached it after my last wash.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I heard they recently changed the law here so that no front plate tickets are only $10.

They might as well just abolish it altogether. It's a joke anyway.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I feel your pain. I'm living on borrowed time right now. Just cruising today I had two locals look me over and I thought the last one would get me for sure as they had a long time to look me over at the light. A buddy of mine got a ticket from the troopers and it was $85 bucks and two points. I bought the removeable unit from Top Flight and installed it last weekend. But, I'm still running without the plate attached. I'm hoping I can them I just "forgot" to reattached it after my last wash.
They give points for an equipment violation? :WTF
I see from your avitar you have a "Heart". I got a special Purple Heart plate about 10 years ago. Since then I've gotten two tickets and many, many 'warnings' :thumbsup: One sheriff in Utah was a jarhead just back from Iraq. My plate is "US1MC" . He stopped me for speeding but when he saw the plate he told me "wounded Marine? You could spit on me and curse my family and go home with a warning". Sometimes life is fair :cheers:

·
Registered
81 Posts
They give points for an equipment violation? :WTF
I see from your avitar you have a "Heart". I got a special Purple Heart plate about 10 years ago. Since then I've gotten two tickets and many, many 'warnings' :thumbsup: One sheriff in Utah was a jarhead just back from Iraq. My plate is "US1MC" . He stopped me for speeding but when he saw the plate he told me "wounded Marine? You could spit on me and curse my family and go home with a warning". Sometimes life is fair :cheers:
Yeah - two points for no plate. I couldn't believe it either. He got the ticket from a trooper so it must have made a difference somehow. I have another buddy who got two tickets for the same thing but it was a city cop and it was only a fine.

PH - I've got my special plate on my pickup. I've thought of moving it to the Vette in hopes that an LEO would take pity on me when he busted me doing 130 in a 55. :laughing: Funny you should mention Utah as that was where I got my last speeding ticket - 1977.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Yeah - two points for no plate. I couldn't believe it either. He got the ticket from a trooper so it must have made a difference somehow. I have another buddy who got two tickets for the same thing but it was a city cop and it was only a fine.

PH - I've got my special plate on my pickup. I've thought of moving it to the Vette in hopes that an LEO would take pity on me when he busted me doing 130 in a 55. :laughing: Funny you should mention Utah as that was where I got my last speeding ticket - 1977.
I don't know what it was like in '77 but the three years I lived there ('06, '05, '04) the cops were thick as (pick your own substance here). One advantage was that Bonneville was just 11/2 hours down I80. I had the C6 there several times and the C5 also. It was fun to stand on it until it wouldn't go any faster. BTW the C6 w/A4 tops out at 170. The C5 w/M6 topped out at 175. All those guys claiming they went faster were not stock-or they're lying.:cheers:

·
Registered
347 Posts
Move to Florida, along with all your other northern folk!:smack

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Move to Florida, along with all your other northern folk!:smack

I agree! Plus, window tinting is legal and there are no village, city or other oridinance stickers marking up my front window! :excited:

Seriously, I doubt they would ever pass a law excluding certain makes/models from carrying a front plate, however I think there would be a better chance of getting all front plates removed. You would think from a cost savings factor alone, that states would consider it. They certainly would not pass the savings onto us, however at least it would get rid of the fugly things!

·
Registered
5,115 Posts
...Plus, window tinting is legal and...
To a degree:

Florida Window Tint Law
Florida Tint Law Enacted: 1991
HOW DARK CAN WINDOW TINT BE IN FLORIDA?

Darkness of tint is measured by Visible Light Transmission percentage (VLT%). In Florida, this percentage refers to percentage of visible light allowed in through the combination of film and the window.

Windshield Non-reflective tint is allowed along the top of the windshield above the manufacturer's AS-1 line.
Front Side Windows Must allow more than 28% of light in.
Back Side Windows Must allow more than 15% of light in.
Rear Window Must allow more than 15% of light in.

http://www.tintcenter.com/laws/FL/

In other words. dark "limo" tint all around WILL get you stopped.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Funny, I almost got one on Friday leaving the rolling meadows show. I wanted a bite to eat so i went to big bowl, and what do i see at the entrance to streets of woodfield? You got it, Seat belt check. So of course i have mine on so i am thinking that i can drive right by. No, he shines his light at the front, and asks where my plate is. I told him i have it in the trunk and he says to pull up to the next officer. As i am pulling to the next officer, this guy shines his light and tells me to go on. I told him i was told to go to him, and he said the other oficer said to go. I am thinking hmm thats strange. Then i look in my rear view and 2 other vettes were behind me. :thumbsup: No front plates and all.:D

·
Registered
121 Posts
Funny, I almost got one on Friday leaving the rolling meadows show. I wanted a bite to eat so i went to big bowl, and what do i see at the entrance to streets of woodfield? You got it, Seat belt check. So of course i have mine on so i am thinking that i can drive right by. No, he shines his light at the front, and asks where my plate is. I told him i have it in the trunk and he says to pull up to the next officer. As i am pulling to the next officer, this guy shines his light and tells me to go on. I told him i was told to go to him, and he said the other oficer said to go. I am thinking hmm thats strange. Then i look in my rear view and 2 other vettes were behind me. :thumbsup: No front plates and all.:D
I'd say you got lucky.

But now I'm wanting some big bowl and they closed them all here.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts