Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my C6 for two years now with no front plate in a state that ostensibly requires it, and I've never been stopped. It appears there has been a court case pending to detemine whether this can be enforced or not, and the court has ruled that it can. It also says the plate must be on the bumper. The cops are saying they are going to enforce the law. Guess I'll start looking at those brackets. :down:

Fort Worth Star-Telegram article:

"A Texas court decision last week is good news for police, parking attendants and toll collectors.
But bad news for some drivers.
Once and for all, the Texas Court of Criminal Appeals has tightened down the bolts on auto license plates.
Now, Texas cars must have a second plate on the front bumper.
Yes, on the bumper.
No, not in the windshield.
No, not in the glove box to show officers when you get stopped.
In a split decision, judges voted 7-2 to uphold a 2006 Lubbock drug arrest.
Writing for the majority, Judge Cathy Cochran wrote that plates belong on the "foremost part or beginning of a vehicle."
Lubbock motorist Tawin T. Spence, then 29, had a half-pound of cocaine in his pants and his Chevy Impala license plate in the windshield when he was stopped by officer Shane Bledsoe.
Spence cruised off to prison for 60 years.
In upholding the traffic stop, the court also discarded an Austin court's 2004 ruling allowing any plate facing the front.
A Texas Department of Public Safety spokesman said troopers will enforce the law requiring a front-bumper plate.
They'll be stopping a lot of Corvettes and European cars.
At Classic Chevrolet in Grapevine, often the leading Corvette seller, online sales manager Justin Norwood said: "This is big."
"Nobody wants the holes punched for a bracket," he said.
In his career, he said, only one driver asked for a front plate.
"He got a ticket going to Oklahoma and he didn't want to get another one," Norwood said.
Texas Department of Motor Vehicles spokeswoman Kim Sue Lia Perkes said drivers call and e-mail constantly asking about the front plate. (About 20 states don't require it.)
"It's a public safety matter," she said.
"Law officers have told us they want those front plates."
A spokeswoman for the North Texas Tollway Authority said the ruling simplifies toll collecting.
In Lubbock, police spokesman Sgt. Tommy Mora wasn't surprised.
"That's the way we've always enforced it," he said. Either police see your plate. Or you see the police."

·
Banned
31,366 Posts
Yeah, that sux. Now I gotta dig out the plate for my truck, and go get a bracket... I will just take my chances with the Vette.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
:thud: :thud: :thud:

They started that in St. Joe. MO and Ivan got a $50 ticket. He than put a bracket on Sweet 16 after that. :huh: :huh: :huh:

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
:D Oh stop your bitching … just say NO!

;) Just kidding … I live in Illinois and I’ve thought this law has been stupid for a long time. As you can see, I don’t care, I’m NOT going to put a Front Plate on my Vette anyway. I have a lot of friends who are cops and they never give No-Front-Plate tickets to responsible drivers. But if you’re an ass-hole and driving without a Front Plan and driving a Vette … then you’re screwed.

As you can see ... there's no place to put one anyway. :laughing:

·
Registered
5,206 Posts
:D Oh stop your bitching … just say NO!

;) Just kidding … I live in Illinois and I’ve thought this law has been stupid for a long time. As you can see, I don’t care, I’m NOT going to put a Front Plate on my Vette anyway. I have a lot of friends who are cops and they never give No-Front-Plate tickets to responsible drivers. But if you’re an ass-hole and driving without a Front Plan and driving a Vette … then you’re screwed.

As you can see ... there's no place to put one anyway. :laughing:

Why don't you look at putting on one of those remote controlled retractable ones on your dads Vette :D

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Why don't you look at putting on one of those remote controlled retractable ones on your dads Vette :D
If anything is going to be flipping up from under the front of my (Dads) Corvette, is a Fifty Caliber Gatling Gun :laughing:

·
Registered
1,858 Posts

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
yeah I was hoping Texas would be little more kind to car guys

They should be alittle more cutting edge & lenient with us car guys

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
yeah I was hoping Texas would be little more kind to car guys

They should be alittle more cutting edge & lenient with us car guys
:thumbsup: Follow the Money and find the Reason. ;)

·
Registered
5,206 Posts
If anything is going to be flipping up from under the front of my (Dads) Corvette, is a Fifty Caliber Gatling Gun :laughing:
Just yanking your chain, nice ride and a front plate definatly doesn't go with it:thumbsup: I'm in the same boat here do not run a front plate just waitng to get caught (hasn't happen in the last 22 yrs)

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Just yanking your chain, nice ride and a front plate definatly doesn't go with it:thumbsup: I'm in the same boat here do not run a front plate just waitng to get caught (hasn't happen in the last 22 yrs)
Only Ass-Hole Rookie Cops trying to make a name for themselves have the time for these type of tickets … at least that what I hear from the Veteran Cops. :laughing:

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've been pulled over by a highway patrol before for it. He gave me a warning but he did pull me over.
I'm just wondering if this court case is going to get the cops thinking about it again and make them more likely to stop us for a while. I hope not. I'm driving to Lubbock next weekend, and that's where the cop in the article was saying they see the plate or we see the cop. :down:

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
I've been pulled over by a highway patrol before for it. He gave me a warning but he did pull me over.
Don’t take it to hart … that’s the only way they can get close enough to get a better look. ;)

·
Registered
321 Posts
Living in IL and WI, I've always had a front plate. On the C4 there's a place for it but on my 91 Miata I have to admit it does look pretty stupid suspended in front of the bumper.

Reading the OP, this sounds more like the cops in Texas have another tool to use when they suspect someone of something and need a reason to pull them over.

I doubt your chances of being pulled over are any greater than they were before as long as you're not doing anything stupid/suspicious and give them a reason to use the law.

·
Registered
889 Posts
I'm just wondering if this court case is going to get the cops thinking about it again and make them more likely to stop us for a while. I hope not. I'm driving to Lubbock next weekend, and that's where the cop in the article was saying they see the plate or we see the cop. :down:
Actually now that you mention it, my dad lives in Lubbock and he has a Z06 and a GS with no front license plates and he hasn't been pulled over yet.

I think it's one of those things that they are going to use as an excuse as a legitimate reason to pull you over if they think you might be doing something else wrong.

After reading your post this morning, I had to run an errand pretty close to the house, I'd say within 5 miles. I decided to count the number of cars at each intersection that didn't have front plates. At every intersection there were cars without them, a saw several trucks that didn't have them, two infinity G-series cars, etc, but no corvettes. The point is that they are everywhere, and if they choose to start pulling everyone over for not having a front plate, they are going to be very busy.

It's a stupid law, but it doesn't change the fact that it is a law. I'm thinking about getting one of those retractable James Bond looking brackets, but who knows. It might be worth the risk to run without one.

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Actually now that you mention it, my dad lives in Lubbock and he has a Z06 and a GS with no front license plates and he hasn't been pulled over yet.

I think it's one of those things that they are going to use as an excuse as a legitimate reason to pull you over if they think you might be doing something else wrong.

After reading your post this morning, I had to run an errand pretty close to the house, I'd say within 5 miles. I decided to count the number of cars at each intersection that didn't have front plates. At every intersection there were cars without them, a saw several trucks that didn't have them, two infinity G-series cars, etc, but no corvettes. The point is that they are everywhere, and if they choose to start pulling everyone over for not having a front plate, they are going to be very busy.

It's a stupid law, but it doesn't change the fact that it is a law. I'm thinking about getting one of those retractable James Bond looking brackets, but who knows. It might be worth the risk to run without one.
I hope you guys are right that they will continue to ignore it. I looked up the only front license plate bracket/frame that looks halfway decent. The bracket is around $100 and the GM paint matching frame is another $100. I'm guessing the ticket wouldn't be $200, so I'm going to live recklessly for a while. :laughing:

This is the best looking bracket and frame I have seen:

http://www.topflightrepro.com/corvette-plate-brackets.shtml

·
Registered
889 Posts
I hope you guys are right that they will continue to ignore it. I looked up the only front license plate bracket/frame that looks halfway decent. The bracket is around $100 and the GM paint matching frame is another $100. I'm guessing the ticket wouldn't be $200, so I'm going to live recklessly for a while. :laughing:

This is the best looking bracket and frame I have seen:

http://www.topflightrepro.com/corvette-plate-brackets.shtml
Agreed on the bracket and frame.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts