Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm restoring my vette and its 99% dismantled. I would like to remove the windows. The easiest way is to just cut/destroy the window gaskets and then just pull the window out. But my gaskets are soft, flexible and seem worth saving. Is there a method to removing the windows without destroying the gaskets or potentially breaking the glass.

Also, what is the trick for removing the rear stainless around the window. The shop manual uses the word "pry" with regard to removing them. I would be sick if I damaged them. If I can remove the smaller corner caps, I think I can work the rest out.....its just getting started that seems difficult.
:cheers:

·
Registered
176 Posts
I'm restoring my vette and its 99% dismantled. I would like to remove the windows. The easiest way is to just cut/destroy the window gaskets and then just pull the window out. But my gaskets are soft, flexible and seem worth saving. Is there a method to removing the windows without destroying the gaskets or potentially breaking the glass.

Also, what is the trick for removing the rear stainless around the window. The shop manual uses the word "pry" with regard to removing them. I would be sick if I damaged them. If I can remove the smaller corner caps, I think I can work the rest out.....its just getting started that seems difficult.
:cheers:
im ahead of you, im doing a resto/mod on a 64 and its 100% dismantled!! on the rear trim NAPA sells a tool to remove that trim, i bought one last month, its a flat sheet metal thingie shaped like a T with hooks on the end of the- top of the T. you slide it under the trim and hook the clips on the outside perimeter under the trim and pry it inward to release the trim. no instructions came with the tool and i didnt know how the clips looked like under the trim so it took me about an hour to hook the first clip and about 5 minutes to hook all the rest. DONT try to pry the trim off, that cheit is rare. if you have any other questions just post them and i will try to help. OH, i dont have the part # for the tool but its in their catalog under "trim removal tool" and its around $9.:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

i just went out and got the tool, its shaped like this __!--!__ with a hook on each end, no part # stamped on it so i cant help you there.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
im ahead of you, im doing a resto/mod on a 64 and its 100% dismantled!! on the rear trim NAPA sells a tool to remove that trim, i bought one last month, its a flat sheet metal thingie shaped like a T with hooks on the end of the- top of the T. you slide it under the trim and hook the clips on the outside perimeter under the trim and pry it inward to release the trim. no instructions came with the tool and i didnt know how the clips looked like under the trim so it took me about an hour to hook the first clip and about 5 minutes to hook all the rest. DONT try to pry the trim off, that cheit is rare. if you have any other questions just post them and i will try to help. OH, i dont have the part # for the tool but its in their catalog under "trim removal tool" and its around $9.:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
I bought a tool some 10 years ago. It looks like a sissor of sorts, but with thin blades. It does not work for S#$$T. I have bent the hell out of it in hopes of making it work. I have not seen the one your talking about.
Did you remove the corner caps first. As I recall they are just attached to the other pieces without any underlying clips. But mine are solid and will not come off.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I bought a tool some 10 years ago. It looks like a sissor of sorts, but with thin blades. It does not work for S#$$T. I have bent the hell out of it in hopes of making it work. I have not seen the one your talking about.
Did you remove the corner caps first. As I recall they are just attached to the other pieces without any underlying clips. But mine are solid and will not come off.
NO, i removed the long peices first, the corner peices will come off with the long peices, dont try to take the corner peices off first i edited the other post to show what the tool looks like but it was between lines, it looks like this __!---!__ with a hook on each end. like yours i didnt work for S#$$T until i hooked the first clip (1 hr. of fooling around) then it worked fine on all the rest (5 minutes) you have to insert the tool between the glass and the trim with the hook about 30 degrees towards the outside, the clips sit 90 degrees to the glass along the outside edge of the trim. hooking the first clip will be a nighmare, (1 hr. on the first clip) once you get the first one you will know how to hook the others. shouldnt take you an hour on the first one because i told you more than i knew when i did mine. dont mess with the corners, take the long peices off.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I decided to just cut the window seals off rather than trying to remove the glass with the gasket intact. Destroying the seals/gaskets was the way to go. I would have never gotten the glass out without breaking the window. There was so much caulk/goop that the gaskets were stuck to the body and the glass. Its taken hours to clean that crap of the body inside and out.

I also used this approach to remove the SS trim on the rear windows. I keep cutting the seal until I could see the clips. Then the clips could be made to release the SS trim with ease. :cheers:

·
Registered
176 Posts
glad to hear you got it. yeah, i couldnt believe the amount of calk/goop that was under mine either. you got the trim off without damage and didnt break any of the clips?? my clips and trim are intact. :cheers: :cheers:

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
glad to hear you got it. yeah, i couldnt believe the amount of calk/goop that was under mine either. you got the trim off without damage and didnt break any of the clips?? my clips and trim are intact. :cheers: :cheers:
Yep, no damage to the clips or trim. Although some of the clips are rusted and will need to be replaced. :cheers:

·
Registered
176 Posts
:rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: i didnt even look at mine for rust, im just glad their there!!:rolling: :rolling: :rolling:

·
Registered
50 Posts
windshield rubber costs about $41 and clips may run $60. I believe that it is worth that to hopefully help insure that the windshield does not leak and that trim does not fall off.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts