Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for any suggestions on replacement of this bushing. Its seems like it going to be a bitch. No room to get in there to pop the cable end onto the shift lever pin. I did find the UP1 kit that will help secure the bushing into the cable. Thanks for any and all recommendations.

·
Premium Member
717 Posts
Read an article on Motor Trend’s site and yes your right a royal bitch. The guy had made a custom fork tool to pop it off and on. Also stated to be careful because the shifter cable is kinda fragile and could brake. Sorry I couldn’t be more help and am dreading when I have to do mine. Good luck.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Read an article on Motor Trend’s site and yes your right a royal bitch. The guy had made a custom fork tool to pop it off and on. Also stated to be careful because the shifter cable is kinda fragile and could brake. Sorry I couldn’t be more help and am dreading when I have to do mine. Good luck.
Ok so yes i did see that on Motor Trend. Wasnt going thru all the trouble of making a specialty tool from a piece of stock unless i had to. Long story short i went with the new bushing from C&S Corvette. Removed the interlock cable, placed the gear shifter into first gear, placed the transmission in first gear by pulling the cable all the way forward. This allowed me to place it on the shifter with no problem with good room to play with.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Ok so yes i did see that on Motor Trend. Wasnt going thru all the trouble of making a specialty tool from a piece of stock unless i had to. Long story short i went with the new bushing from C&S Corvette. Removed the interlock cable, placed the gear shifter into first gear, placed the transmission in first gear by pulling the cable all the way forward. This allowed me to place it on the shifter with no problem with good room to play with.
I wanted to express some gratitude for following up with your solution.

I have a manual shift car, and a skill level that provides a lot of questions with few answers, Having a workable solution at hand when my time comes will be a great boon to a guy like me, and why I frequent this forum. I don't have the kind of support set up to where I can just walk over and fabricate stuff, it would be a real mission and probably involve buying tools to make a tool.

·
Premium Member
717 Posts
I think the tool was fabricated to do the trans end of the car. Remember reading them complaining about a lack of room. I wrapped my exhaust back there to control some heat in that area. It is very tight. Took three hours to wrap just the axel portion.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think the tool was fabricated to do the trans end of the car. Remember reading them complaining about a lack of room. I wrapped my exhaust back there to control some heat in that area. It is very tight. Took three hours to wrap just the axel portion.
Glad you were able to get it done. Yes this form is helpful when people decide to help. I hope in the future it will help you.

r,

1 - 7 of 7 Posts