Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that i removed everything from the frame I was going to start media blasting and powder coating all the components. I have the service manual which is helpful but does anybody have any good articles for rebuilding the front suspension? Getting the rivets off of the rotors was a huge pain.

·
Premium Member
4,722 Posts
Getting the rivets off of the rotors was a huge pain.

When you are doing this for pay you will remove the dust cap, cotter pin, bolt, washer, and bearings and remove the hub still attached to the rotor. Then upside down on a bench with a chisel bit in your air hammer with the chisel upside down so the chamfer is flat against the hub, You will spend 3-5seconds on each taking the heads off the backside of the rivets(Rivets, not the Wheel Studs). Then you can either use a hammer and a punch or if you have a punch bit to fit in your air hammer, you can then drive out each rivet. This process goes fast when done this way.

I have not drilled one of those rivets in some years now. And with great relief.

I also strongly recommend you invest in a set of Moog replacement springs for your front suspension. They are shorter and go in and out without any struggle. They have a higher spring rate so it stiffens up the front a touch also which is nice. Those factory springs are very tall and can only be installed with a spring compressor. The moog parts just go in.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was hoping to do coil-overs on the front. I might replace the upper control arms. The shark bite and global west products look like great replacements for the factory equipment.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Drilled out rivets

Just spent 2 hours drilling out the rivets. That was a process. I also broke 2 of my punches. Those rivets really hold onto the rotors and hubs.

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I should have took some pictures of the spindle before I stripped of the paint and media blasted with glass beads. Here is what it looks like before powder coating.

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm really happy with the results. I got a base zinc epoxy primer (Eastwood) followed by Prismatic Ink Black. It looks like its dripping wet.

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Finally complete

I finally got the spindles blasted, powder coated, and re-assembled. While I had the bolts out I manganese phosphate (parkerized) coated them. Hopefully this will keep the rust off them.

Attachments

·
Supporting Vendor
3,770 Posts
nice job, they should last a very long time with that treatment.

For removing the rivets I center punch, center drill, 5/16 bit just below the rivet head, cold chisel to split the head and remove the rotor, then drive out the body in a bench vise. Not too bad once you do one and have all the tools on hand.

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
I finally got the spindles blasted, powder coated, and re-assembled. While I had the bolts out I manganese phosphate (parkerized) coated them. Hopefully this will keep the rust off them.
Really nice job on those spindles! Congrats.

Just a heads up of sorts on powdercoating. That stuff goes on pretty thick when compared with paint, so if the coating gets in between closely mated parts like where a stock rally wheel fits onto its mounting point, or where bolt holes require a close fit you might get into a fit with the fit on some parts. ;)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Powder Coating

I was careful to mask off all areas that had high tolerances. Does anyone know the torque specs for the bolts on the spindle? The only reference I can find in the service manual says 30 ft/lbs for any steering components.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Final Assembly

I was able to get it all back to together. This assembly is really heavy once the rotor is on there. now i need to find a rotor runout tool to verify the tolerances.

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I took a little time off during the holidays but I did start on the Control Arms. The control arms had some really bad pitting. It took 3 coats of powder to smooth them out.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts