Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

Front tires wearing odd...help?

5K views 8 replies 9 participants last post by  5.7man 
#1 ·
Can anyone ball park me an estm. on what it's going to cost me to get an alligmnent for my '00 FRC. Doesn't have to be exact, just what it usually cost. Just got my oil changed this last weekend and saw that my front tires very inside tread is GONE, 7/8 of the rest of the tire is FINE. It's the inside edge of BOTH of the front tires. Any guesses on why they would wear like this, yet both of the back tires are wearing perfectly and still have great tread left.
Plus, I checked out our tire sponsor to the left here...can anyone PM me if they know of any other locations online that I might be able to compare pricing with, that you have used. Need some stock size run flats, not looking to spend an arm and a leg to replace either...on a bit of a budget as I'm trying to find a new job that's closer to home.

Thanks!

James

1N189

#3 ·
Not sure if anyone has heard this

Not sure if anyone has heard this, But GM's factory alignment for the C5 is more set for road/track touring than street driving. The factory settings will gaurantee the insides of the front tires will ball before the outside. I have seen the tire wear on at least 3 other C5s including mine but thats about it.
Maybe someone else can explain it better than i can.

#4 ·
I have a 06 C6 Vette and i just replaced my back tires but when i looked at the front tires they looked ok. then yesterday i took my ECU out to send it to Lg to get the LS2 edit and when i i took the tire off to access the computer i too noticed that the inside of both my tires are worn just about smooth while the rest of the tire has a significant amount of tread left. I only have 15K on the car and i got a front wheel alignment at about 4500 miles so i think its just how the car wears the tires.

#5 ·
C5 Alignment

I bring this post back to the top because I am experiencing the same problem. I now have tires (oem runflats) to replace those front tires, but would like to correct the problem so the new tires doesn't wear the same. I would like to trust the dealership but I can't.

If the majority of the C5's were aligned at Bolling Green to compensate for agressive driving, what would be the recommended aligment specs for everyday driving. Less negative camber??

Anyone who has had this problem and has had it fixed, please share your cure.

Thanks

#6 · (Edited)
I have an 02 Z06, and have the same tire wear (inside wear's down first). When I replaced my tires a while back I was asking about this and found out it's due to the alignment for Z06's being set up for cornering. Not sure on the camber/toe numbers, but if you poke around the forum you'll find them. I was told that aligning to base C5 specs would solve the problem, but I can't verify that...I stuck with the Z06 alignment.

some info in this thread

#7 ·
:agree: I was told the exact same thing, however, there is one of each body style posted here assuming jmaal13 has a coupe. The coupe and vert might have less aggressive settings but apparently it's enough to wear out the fronts prematurely as well.:huh:

#8 ·
The factory specs on a Z06 allow over a full degree negative camber, which will result in significant inside tire wear on the street. (-0.7 deg +/- 0.5deg)
I reduced my camber settings by 1/4 deg. until I got down to -1/8 deg. camber, and was still seeing some inside tire wear. For acceptable street tire wear, the camber needs to be close to zero, not more than -1/8 deg or so.

#9 ·
in reality if you drive spirited at all, less than 1 degree camber isn't going to kill off you tires very quick. Toe out kills tire much faster than minor camber, normally it is put in to give quick turn in on the cars. I have mine aligned to these, and love it

Front
1/16" toe out
5 degrees caster
1.5 degree camber

Rear
0 toe
1.5 degrees camber
caster=N/A

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.