Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone list the correct Timken (or whatever brand you prefer) part numbers for front wheel bearings for the '65-'68 AND the '69-'82 Corvette? I am doing the front suspension on my 1968 SB, and I think I might have '69-'82 spindles and hubs. I researched & ordered '65-'68 bearings, races and seals and they are too small. None of the Corvette vendors or auto parts places list any useful dimensions with their bearing kits so I am kinda lost. I have tried searching this forum, no luck...

Thanks,
Chris

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
IIRC there was a change between the 68 and 69 model year front spindles. A late 68 may have gottent the 69 spindles.
I have an early 69 and it has the big spindles, but it has the F-41 suspension option too. That may make a difference.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Tim that sounds like it might be my situation...I have the seals but still hoping someone has part numbers for the bearings

·
Registered
552 Posts
I love the online auto parts stores for that kind of lookup information. Oreilly's site is far speedier than the others with my PC and connection.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i didn't check O'reilly because there isn't one near me and I don't want to order anything else sight unseen...i'm already going to spend more on shipping than on bearings and seals!

·
Registered
552 Posts
You're missing the point. Don't order the part. Use the site to get your part number. Take that number to the manufacturer site and look up the dimensional data. Or you could just go to napa and walk out with the correct bearings and seals, it doesn't require any kind of kit.

good luck with the project

·
Registered
265 Posts
You're missing the point. Don't order the part. Use the site to get your part number. Take that number to the manufacturer site and look up the dimensional data. Or you could just go to napa and walk out with the correct bearings and seals, it doesn't require any kind of kit.

good luck with the project
:agree:
And if nothing else works out, get some calipers and measure spindle reces. Take/measure hub races and head for autoparts. A good parts guy should hook you up.
The only parts numbers gurus I know of, hang on the NCRS site. Any NCRS guys read this?
:cheers:

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
For my 72 the front bearing numbers are National part# A-3 and A-5. I can't remember the seal part number though. These numbers are from memory so if I've made a mistake with the numbers please correct me. I'd use Advance Auto's website for the bearing numbers.

·
Registered
959 Posts
YOU have the numbers.....on the old bearings, or did you throw them away? if you still have them take your old bearings to an auto parts store and let a professional help you...

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the replies guys, even those that sort of suggest I'm a dope :laughing:

Special thanks to 72SBVet for actually answering my question.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Thanks for all the replies guys, even those that sort of suggest I'm a dope :laughing:

Special thanks to 72SBVet for actually answering my question.
Thanks man:thumbsup: I got to pick up a steering gear for a customer tomorrow and while I'm at Advance Auto I'll pull up both 68 and 69 bearing numbers and seal numbers and post them for you. Hope your project goes smooth:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
The numbers listed are National brand part numbers.

Here are the front bearing part numbers for the 1968 Corvette

Inner: A-2

Outer: A-6

Seal: 7934S

1969 Corvette front bearing part numbers

Inner: A-5

Outer: A-3

Seal: 9406S

Hope that helps:thumbsup:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The numbers listed are National brand part numbers.

Here are the front bearing part numbers for the 1968 Corvette

Inner: A-2

Outer: A-6

Seal: 7934S

1969 Corvette front bearing part numbers

Inner: A-5

Outer: A-3

Seal: 9406S

Hope that helps:thumbsup:

This is great, thanks. The Timken part numbers are SET5 and SET3...I have them now. By way of explanation, I got some bad info from a parts store (which shall remain nameless) in the beginning, which got me off track. As a result I bought, returned, and then ordered AGAIN the 65-68 bearings (different manufacturer and part #...). Therefore, I wanted confirmation on the correct part number before I went back to a (different!) parts store, because I know from experience if their cross-reference is wrong, having the part in your hand, even if the number is readable (mine aren't) does you no good.

All good now!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts