Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Feds have required an auxiliary engine cover (hood) release for decades. There is no such law applicable to a Frunk lid. Multiple owners have reported the C8 frunk lid popping up between 30-40 MPH. Quite disturbing, I'm sure, having the road view almost completely blocked as you accelerate in your new C8. Engineering error or operator error?

GM's Response:
After isolated reports of 2020 Chevrolet Corvette hoods being inadvertently left open while being driven, the engineering team is investigating the potential issue and will be working to prevent them moving forward. We have not been able to identify any mechanical issues related this situation. We’re looking at ways we can improve warnings of the hood being open by increasing the volume of warning chimes and changing the messaging that appears in the DIC. Vehicles already in the field would receive these changes through over-the-air updates.

·
Super Moderator
10,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I agree, user error. If it was GM was at fault, they would have jumped quickly to recall and install a safety release. The fact that they are only going to alter the "Frunk lid open" notice, IMO, tells the story. I get both sides of this issue. It sounds like the final latch for the front requires a firm press on the lid. No emblem on the lid, so this leaves a hand/finger-print on the paint. Add to that, the fact that past rear hatches and (I think) the C8 engine cover have a soft-close that latches itself, one could understand an owner assumption that a similar mechanism is in place for the frunk lid...but it is not. An owner showing off his C8 who neglects to push the lid until he hears a click while bragging about his new ride is VERY possible.

Reactions: HN376RAR

·
Registered
2020 Corvette black over black
230 Posts
The frunk lid is quite sturdy, it has a two-step locking mechanism, you can see it in action when you open it, it clicks twice. And then when you close it, you just push down firmly until it's flush with the rest of the hood. I just don't see how it could spontaneously pop up while you're driving.

·
Super Moderator
10,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Ugolino. Sounds like you are confirming the operator error cause. Good to know.

·
Super Moderator
10,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Updated speculation: As GM continues to work on 1) increasing the volume of the "Funk open" chime and 2) an alert to be displayed in the DIC if the frunk lid is open, others are suggesting that the issue is a software fault. The C8 software is designed to prevent the Key Fob (purposeful or a butt push) signal from opening the engine hatch and the Frunk lid if the car is not in PARK. There have been no reports of the rear hatch opening, but some are hypothesizing that there could be a frunk controller software glitch. If that is the case, I'm sure GM will include a software correction over the air.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts