Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Darwin award nominee
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my chip in the mail yesterday. Was reprogrammed for the 24lb injectors. Car won't even idle. Opened the throttle blades with the screw to the limit, still won't idle. Fuel pressure with vacuum off set to 43psi. Going to check for codes after work today, SES light is on now also. One thing I found weird is the fan came on as soon as I turn the key and stays on while I get it to run. I'm really thinking something happened to the chip. If I keep my foot on the gas it runs and at one point I got it in drive and the idle settled at 750 -800 rpm. Sounded like it backfired through the TB at one point. :huh:

·
Darwin award nominee
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The chip was reprogrammed for 24lb injectors, I just got in from checking the codes. Code 51. I used the A and B with a paper clip and counted the SES light Flashes and Pauses.

·
DC Crew
32,977 Posts
Yep, your chip is off for sure. One of the biggest headaches of the early cars. If you can't burn them yourself you have to deal with this type of headache untill you either get it right from this guy or find someone that knows what they are doing.
This was one of the biggest hassles I found when I supercharged my old motor with a Stealth Ram. The tuner I was using ended up being a HUGE disappointment and one of the reasons I gave up on that set up and did my LS swap.

·
Darwin award nominee
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What would it take to be able to burn my own chip and or possibly data log some runs. When I had the Harleys, I was able to tune with a ThunderMax System.
Thanks.

·
DC Crew
32,977 Posts
What would it take to be able to burn my own chip and or possibly data log some runs. When I had the Harleys, I was able to tune with a ThunderMax System.
Thanks.
Contact Moates.net they have all the needed hardware to datalog and burn chips. I used to datalog my car, it's pretty easy but I never ventured into the burning side of things. I don't know what's needed to achive that.

·
Darwin award nominee
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They sent me a new chip, I received it today. Same scenario, won't run without my foot on the gas pedal, backfires through TB, won't idle. Throws code 51 again, Factory Service Manual says if the Memcal is good then change ECM for code 51. AutoZone had a remanufactured ECM, installed it and no difference. Car was running rich and idle surged before I sent the chip to be programmed for 24lb injectors. Is it possible they are doing something wrong with the chip when they program it? Is there someway they can test it before sending it out to me? Is there somewhere I can purchase a stock chip ? I'm tempted to just buy a Hypertech and see if it runs with that installed.
2 weeks ago, I had the injectors replaced, I picked up the car, I drove it home, 30 miles, pulled the ECM and sent out the chip. Nothing else was touched or done to the car. Sorry for the long post, just out of ideas.

·
Cleaner than Stock, Faster than Phock
726 Posts

·
Darwin award nominee
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Waiting for another chip. Asked if something was wrong with the programmer ? They said they are sending a new one out. Could I run a Hypertech or JET chip just to see if it is indeed the custum chip that is screwed up? I have already traded in my ECM and tried a Remanufactured. I don't think I can install my chip backwards. It has notches in the carrier that line up with the socket in the ECM. Getting tired of waiting. Car was never in the rain, since I have had this issue, it has rained everyday.:WTF

·
Darwin award nominee
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The person who burned your PROM screwed up.
They are still denying there is anything wrong their chips or programming. After almost 3 weeks of going back and forth with chips from the programmer. Their 3rd chip arrived today, code 51 :WTF, For the heck of it I bought a used chip from a guy on 3rdGen.org, it is for an 86' Z28/auto. This one also came today, car runs :D, Fan doesn't come on till 200, but hey, at least I know it was their chip all along.
I was so happy, I even washed the Vette.

·
Darwin award nominee
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Life is good again, got a new chip in the mail today from a different tuner, car runs good. Not going to do anything else for a while except drive it.:D

·
Registered
244 Posts
Life is good again, got a new chip in the mail today from a different tuner, car runs good. Not going to do anything else for a while except drive it.:D
Glad to hear you have found a solution!:thumbsup:

Sorry to hear that you had to go through so much trouble, but It's always good to see a corvette get driven again.

~wd-40:buhbye:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts