Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My fuel gage is running wild. It was reading 1/2 tank and when I turned the engine off and restarted the car it was now reading 1/4 tank. I went and filled the tank up and it took 14 gallons. It is the second time it has given me a false reading. With my luck I will take it to the dealer and I know it will not do it then. Any ideas what can be wrong. Thanks and Happy New Year. My corvette is a 2001 C5 Coupe.

:partyon: :thumbsup:

·
Registered
Black 08, A&A TI supercharger. Kooks headers. CCW wheels. Much more
12,668 Posts
Hi there,
I had that happen right when i bought the car.I ran a can of BG44K thru the gas tank and never had it happen again,it also solved my pinging problem by cleaning all the carbon out.(no driving fast on the freeway will not do it.)It's a very strong cleaner and should be used every 6 months.
Do a search for BB44K,theres a long discussion on this.It works,it's not like tecron or other mild cleaners.They will replace some things under warranty,but the junk in todays gas will varnish every thing up again.Good luck.:buhbye:

·
Registered
61 Posts
hawaii-5-lo said:
Hi there,
I had that happen right when i bought the car.I ran a can of BG44K thru the gas tank and never had it happen again,it also solved my pinging problem by cleaning all the carbon out.(no driving fast on the freeway will not do it.)It's a very strong cleaner and should be used every 6 months.
Do a search for BB44K,theres a long discussion on this.It works,it's not like tecron or other mild cleaners.They will replace some things under warranty,but the junk in todays gas will varnish every thing up again.Good luck.:buhbye:
This is an on-going problem with C5 gas gauge. I'm on my third one and this one is starting to go bad. Actually not a gauge problem but a "sending unit" problem.

·
Registered
Black 08, A&A TI supercharger. Kooks headers. CCW wheels. Much more
12,668 Posts
I known what your saying,it's all related to junk.The procedure and chemical was recommended to me by a master vette mechanic that is very well known on the sites.He said if you just change it out,it will happen again,sound familiar.
I had this problem 2 years ago,the dealer wanted to change sending unit,and other parts,i ran a can thru a full tank of gas,no more problems,i do it every 6 months,it also cleans fuel rails,injectors,etc.G.M. top end cleaner is not even this good.
A nice side effect was,it cleaned out my massive carbon problem(from junk in fuel,only had 24,000 miles) i had.I now have 40,500 miles and no problems.I new from day one my car was down on power,after carbon gone,no more ping and no more computer timing retard.A can is only 17 bucks,i would try it before i took my car to the dealer.
Not trying to argue,but last thing i will do is take my car to the dealer.Try the stuff,if it doesn't work,then go take it in.Are you going to keep changing the units out after the warranty expires?:buhbye:

·
Registered
509 Posts
Not sure if BG's 44K will solve the problem.. not doubting it.. I just never used it for that purpose.. But it is the **** when it comes to cleaning out fuel systems and carbon..
-Rick

·
Registered
45 Posts
i had same problem with mine...took a sending unit replacement

·
DC Crew
53,222 Posts
VetteTech81 said:
Not sure if BG's 44K will solve the problem.. not doubting it.. I just never used it for that purpose.. But it is the **** when it comes to cleaning out fuel systems and carbon..
-Rick
Where can I get it? Can I use it on my LT4?

·
Registered
39 Posts
I had the same problem in my 2001 about a year ago and went on a routine of Chevron Techron (every 3mo) plus Sunoco 93 and it hasn't come back. Certain fuel brands have higher sulfur content that coats the sensors. Since there are 2, one in each tank, the computer software compares the signals from each to determine the actual level. When they are coated with the sulfur the relative signals can drift from each other. This drift may not a big percentage for full or half tanks, but get to a quarter and the error is large enough that the software kicks in a safety mode, known as "drop the sucker to zero and scare the heck out of the driver". I had that happen a few times. There is a software upgrade for MY2001+ that allows a greater error between the 2 senders before it goes chicken little. I haven't needed to drop in to have it done yet. Cleaning, as suggested should help and maybe change in gas brand.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for everyone's help. I plan to change the gas I use and since my car is under warranty I plan to take it to the dealer. Thanks again.

:partyon: :thumbsup:

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Gage Fixed

Well I got the car fix they updated the PCM. Hope that will solve the problem. Thanks for everyones help and advise.

:partyon: :cheers: :nuts:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts