Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy,
I have a question to all here, my C3 1981 is given me trouble with reading howmuch fuel there still is in the tank?
When I fill her up to the top! the fuel gauge gives me more than full? the needle is more than half over full reading point.
When the needle is halfway the tank is empty? question is?
Is the gauge malfunction? or is it the sensor unit in the tank that will give me the problem? can someone give me some advice here?
Greetz
Corvieman

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
Most typical problem with fuel senders in the grounding wire. Next would be sender, then gauge, and finally the float assembly itself.

Based on your symptoms I'm kind of leaning towards the gauge though. It sounds like an internal failure to me.

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
The next time the gauge is reading Half, put a dip stick in the fuel tank and check the actual level of the gasoline. I use an old broom handle as a dip stick - anything which will show the fuel level.

If the gauge says Half and the dip stick level looks like half a tank, you are probably fine.

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
301 Posts
Take the ground wire from the sender unit
the gauge should sweep over the full indication
ground the ground wire to a known good ground and it should sweep to empty.

if this happens it already gives a indication the wiring & gauge/flex circuit are ok

Nick

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Take the ground wire from the sender unit
the gauge should sweep over the full indication
ground the ground wire to a known good ground and it should sweep to empty.

if this happens it already gives a indication the wiring & gauge/flex circuit are ok

Nick
Thanks! I'm going to test this, let You know what happens:thumbsup:

·
Registered
71 Posts
Fuel Guage

Check Wilcox site for repairs etc - they have a good section on checking the fuel tank and units. step by step..

Trapper77:thumbsup:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts