Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i'm replacing a 600 cfm edelbrock with a refurb 750 cfm Q-Jet to give my motor more air and am trying to swap out the braided steel fuel line for the edelbrock for a preformed hard line for the Q-Jet. I have the fitting to the carb attached but cannot for my life get the fitting to the fuel pump sealed up. I have it tightened all the way down but it still leaks like a sieve. On top of that, there are two brake lines that are in contact with the fuel line a few inches away from the pump. I'm thinking chaffing between brake and fuel lines end in a bad way. Any suggestions to getting a good seal?
Thanks! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
738 Posts
Hmmm, the fitting on the fuel pump is a 37* flair fitting, I think. What are you trying to put in there?
There is supposed to be a preformed rubber fuel line from the steel linf from the tanl to the pump and the same thing for the return line to the tank.
It might be easier to put the line on the pump first, then the carb.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It definately is the correct fitting, made for the stock pump and carb, so I know im not trying to shove something in there that isn't supposed to be. I'll try hooking up to the pump first. Thanks!

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
:agree:

The AN outlet fitting and the steel tubing fitting have different flares and are not compatible. What kind of fitting do you have coming out of the pump? If you have the right fitting, did you use some teflon pipe fitting compound?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can't see into the pump fitting so I can't tell if it accepts the female flare, if that's what it's called. But like I said, i'm assuming that the line was meant to work with this pump, it's just being hard to deal with.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I can't see into the pump fitting so I can't tell if it accepts the female flare, if that's what it's called. But like I said, i'm assuming that the line was meant to work with this pump, it's just being hard to deal with.
The fuel pump comes with just a 1/4" pipe thread for an outlet. A 1/4" pipe to 3/8 inverted flare fitting needs to be installed. Do you have that?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have the same fittings up to the 90* bend, but then I have an extra threaded nut in front of that that I have been trying to go into. So it appears that that extra nut has to go away. Thanks for the pic, it has cleared it up a lot. :thumbsup:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts