Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wondered what the proper octane fuel was recommended for my 06 C6. I don't see a sign or label in the gas cap or anywhere near the tank or the fuel gauge. I think the dealer filled it up with regular when they gave me the car. I always use premium (93 octane) in my other cars but they are (were) force fed.... The owners manual says something about 91 octane and I read some posts about using 93 octane in modified cars.
Around these parts (Atlanta, GA) the prevalent grades of fuel are 87, 89 and 93 octane. Should I continue using 93 octane? I know that in the turbo and supercharged engines it's imperative to use high octane to avoid granading the motors, but I remember reading years ago that high octane fuel could actually be inefficient in engines which don't require it..... Does the Corvette have an "adaptive" engine computer? will it advance timing and lean out the mixture as it detects the knock resistance of the fuel?

Thanks for your input

·
Registered
4,479 Posts
I wondered what the proper octane fuel was recommended for my 06 C6. I don't see a sign or label in the gas cap or anywhere near the tank or the fuel gauge. I think the dealer filled it up with regular when they gave me the car. I always use premium (93 octane) in my other cars but they are (were) force fed.... The owners manual says something about 91 octane and I read some posts about using 93 octane in modified cars.
Around these parts (Atlanta, GA) the prevalent grades of fuel are 87, 89 and 93 octane. Should I continue using 93 octane? I know that in the turbo and supercharged engines it's imperative to use high octane to avoid granading the motors, but I remember reading years ago that high octane fuel could actually be inefficient in engines which don't require it..... Does the Corvette have an "adaptive" engine computer? will it advance timing and lean out the mixture as it detects the knock resistance of the fuel?

Thanks for your input

not sure about the timing but all i use is the highest octane my gas station has which is 93 and my owners manual doesnt recomend anything lower then 89 or 87(cant remeber which one)

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I guess for now I'll continue with 93 octane. It will probably allow me to run a more aggressive tune when I can achieve it... BTW, nice color!! :cheers:

·
Registered
4,479 Posts
Thanks, I guess for now I'll continue with 93 octane. It will probably allow me to run a more aggressive tune when I can achieve it... BTW, nice color!! :cheers:
yea do you have any mods done to the car becuase if not i dont think a tune would help that much

and thanks red is the only color for corvettes:devil:

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yea do you have any mods done to the car becuase if not i dont think a tune would help that much

and thanks red is the only color for corvettes:devil:
Hmmm... The Miata people used to get fairly good results in the normally aspirated cars when they switched to the Link or other stand alone computers. They achieved power gains by tuning the fuel and timing maps. Apparently there was room for improvement in the factory tune. Are stock Corvettes factory tuned for best performance?

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
I think the recommended octane is 91 in the owners manual for the coupe and convertible. In the Z06 it is a must to run at least 91. This is off the top of my head without referencing the manual, but that's what I recall. All they sell here is 91 octane. I feel cheated because it isn't any cheaper compared to 87 and 89 than 93 octane was in Pensacola.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
I wondered what the proper octane fuel was recommended for my 06 C6. ..... Does the Corvette have an "adaptive" engine computer? will it advance timing and lean out the mixture as it detects the knock resistance of the fuel?

Thanks for your input

From the 2006 C6 owners’ manual: https://www.mygmlink.com/pdf/go2content/manual/US/en/chevrolet/2006corvette.pdf
Gasoline Octane
If your vehicle has the 6.0L V8 engine (VIN Code U), use premium unleaded gasoline with a posted octane rating of 91 or higher. You may also use regular unleaded gasoline rated at 87 octane or higher, but your vehicle’s acceleration may be slightly reduced, and you may notice a slight audible knocking noise, commonly referred to as spark knock. If the octane is less than 87, you may notice a heavy knocking noise when you drive. If this occurs, use a gasoline rated at 87 octane or higher as soon as possible.
Otherwise, you might damage your engine. If you are using gasoline rated at 87 octane or higher and you hear heavy knocking, your engine needs service.

I have a POS GMC 6.0 Liter in my 2001 truck:down: . The owners' manuals says 87 is OK and it is when I have no load and keep the RPMs under 2K. At all other times I get serious engine knock unless I used 93 octane fuels. I would expect the corvette to act the same, if you baby it and keep the RPMs down 87 should be OK. If you hear any knocking increase the octane. Oh yeah I have also noticed that very hot days (probably low air density) make it knocks easier and in the winter I can use 87 octane all the time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts