Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello gang:buhbye: There are many fuel system cleaners out ther, so what is everyone's favorite. Although I haven't used any in awhile, I have been using "Gumout Regain" as per The Junkman's suggestion. After removing the airhorn today to replace my EBCTM Module I noticed the some dark gunk on the face of the throttle body. I use Chevron and 76 gas exclusively. Thanks everyone:cheers:

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
That dark gunk is your throttle body saying, "It's time to clean me." They all get dirty eventually and they will always have to be checked periodically. A dirty throttle body WILL affect your engine's performable.

As for cleaners, I am still using Gumout's Fuel Injector cleaner and my gas needle has not failed me in 5 years. The stuff just works and it is a LOT cheaper that comparable products on the market.

·
Registered
5,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That dark gunk is your throttle body saying, "It's time to clean me." They all get dirty eventually and they will always have to be checked periodically. A dirty throttle body WILL affect your engine's performable.

As for cleaners, I am still using Gumout's Fuel Injector cleaner and my gas needle has not failed me in 5 years. The stuff just works and it is a LOT cheaper that comparable products on the market.
:lookinup: Clean me? :thud: Can you tell me what that entails? THX:partyon:

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
You have to remove the throttle body, get yourself some throttle body cleaner and spend some time at the bench cleaning all that crap off BOTH sides of the opening. You will know when you are done because it will look like this:

Yours probably looks like this:

·
Registered
5,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That seems do-able. Thank you AJ. Just put some Gumout and gas in her and took her for a romp. Her only exercize lately has been to and from church and therapy, 2 miles roundtrip probably. Did get the ABS Module installed today, and it sure is nice not to see those bright yellow lights on the dash anymore! Hats off to Brandon at ABSFIXR! Thank you again AJ :cheers:

·
Registered
6,047 Posts
Mark, :cheers:

·
Registered
5,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
:buhbye: Hiya Ben :cheers:

·
Premium Member
1,349 Posts
I use Techron or Gumout on a regular basis, but about every 6 months I add BG 44K - it has brought my fuel gauge when everything else stop working.

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
Yea, that's some good **** if you can find it. Not cheap though.

·
Registered
5,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I use Techron or Gumout on a regular basis, but about every 6 months I add BG 44K - it has brought my fuel gauge when everything else stop working.
My fuel guage is marginal at best. The only time that I can really trust it, is when the tank is full :smack

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
Then you haven't ran enough Gumout through it. That completely fixed mine years ago.

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
Then you haven't ran enough Gumout through it. That completely fixed mine years ago.
:agree:............or I would also recommend a can of BG44K.

I use BG44K once a year after winter hybernation and always carry a bottle of Gumout in the trunk on roadtrips. Just in the event I may need to fuel up from an "unknown" source.

Mark, your fuel suppliers are a known good source, but always remember to never fuel up while the station is refilling their tanks due to the stirring of sediment from the bottom of their storage tanks.

Our C5's do not like junk in their tanks :D

·
Registered
5,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So AJ, Whick flavor of Gumout are you using? I have been using the Yellow bottle called Regain. There is also a White bottle that is simply called Entire Fuel System Cleaner. Thx

·
Registered
5,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So AJ, Whick flavor of Gumout are you using? I have been using the Yellow bottle called Regain. There is also a White bottle that is simply called Entire Fuel System Cleaner. Thx
Junkman? White, or yellow?

·
Registered
5,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
:thumbsup: Thanks AJ, and everyone else for your input. I will look into cleaning the TB, and start using the Gumout on a regular basis. :cheers: :cheers:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts