Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would appreciate experienced opinions on whether I should be safe taking my '02 Z06 on a quick run to Florida (Columbia, SC to Tampa, FL) and back given the fact that the car is throwing the following codes: 0171 and 0174 - fuel trim lean, left and right banks.

Quick background is:

* A couple of weeks ago, I switched out my VaraRam airbox/filter (I had never installed the VR ducts between the airbox and lower grill) for a new Donaldson Blackwing.

* With the new Blackwing, the car immediately started throwing 0171 and 0174 codes - which it had not done with the VR airbox in place.

* I've cleared the codes out a number of times and the miles between the 0171/0174 codes appearing has increased, with daily driving not resulting in any codes on some trips - though it will still throw the codes on other trips.

* Hard acceleration consistently results in the 0171/0174 codes appearing.

* The car feels likes its running well, though highway mileage is now at 27mpg (up from 25 immediately after switching to the Blackwing, but down from the pre-Blackwing highway mpg of 28.6).

The local Vette shop (that I trust) suggested I bring it in for a tune - but I can't get that done before heading to FL. Does experience suggest I'd be risking damage by making a Florida run before doing a tune? I'll take the family sedan if necessary.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Would appreciate experienced opinions on whether I should be safe taking my '02 Z06 on a quick run to Florida (Columbia, SC to Tampa, FL) and back given the fact that the car is throwing the following codes: 0171 and 0174 - fuel trim lean, left and right banks.

Quick background is:

* A couple of weeks ago, I switched out my VaraRam airbox/filter (I had never installed the VR ducts between the airbox and lower grill) for a new Donaldson Blackwing.

* With the new Blackwing, the car immediately started throwing 0171 and 0174 codes - which it had not done with the VR airbox in place.

* I've cleared the codes out a number of times and the miles between the 0171/0174 codes appearing has increased, with daily driving not resulting in any codes on some trips - though it will still throw the codes on other trips.

* Hard acceleration consistently results in the 0171/0174 codes appearing.

* The car feels likes its running well, though highway mileage is now at 27mpg (up from 25 immediately after switching to the Blackwing, but down from the pre-Blackwing highway mpg of 28.6).

The local Vette shop (that I trust) suggested I bring it in for a tune - but I can't get that done before heading to FL. Does experience suggest I'd be risking damage by making a Florida run before doing a tune? I'll take the family sedan if necessary.
The clamps loosen when the engine heats and cools so they probably needs to be tightened. Also if your maf doesn't have a screen , that's something you should look into before you spend hundreds for a tune. Haltech sells one for about $40. I had pretty much the same issue ( with a Blackwing) and that solved my problem.

·
Banned
7,823 Posts
I occasionally get those cosed with my halltech with tight clamps. although i do not have a maf screen....

·
Registered
Black 08, A&A TI supercharger. Kooks headers. CCW wheels. Much more
12,668 Posts
I thought zo6's dont have screens? Correct me if im wrong. If it turns out you do need a tune, should throw on some headers or some other mod.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I thought zo6's dont have screens? Correct me if im wrong. If it turns out you do need a tune, should throw on some headers or some other mod.
2001 models had the maf screen.02-04 models didn't but when you install aftermarket induction systems you are increasing the amount of turbulence through the maf therefore causing the car to surge and throw codes. I would get the screen before you make your road trip.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts