Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Most of what we know is summarized in the table below**

I was wondering what are the "educated guesses" about the horse power of future corvettes. Anyone up to the challenge of filling in the question marks? In 2012 (god permitting) we can always revisit this thread to check who made the most accurate estimates!

** any mistakes you notice I will be glad to fix. I am by no means a corvette expert.

·
DC Crew
53,220 Posts
If I had to guess I'd say 440 HP C7 coupe/vert. And, maybe a 535 HP C7 Z06 tops. But, the car will be a few hundred pounts lighter... so I think we need to look at power/weight ratio now versus getting stuck on HP/TQ numbers.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If I had to guess I'd say 440 HP C7 coupe/vert. And, maybe a 535 HP C7 Z06 tops. But, the car will be a few hundred pounts lighter... so I think we need to look at power/weight ratio now versus getting stuck on HP/TQ numbers.
Wow, you really think the z06 will undergo such a drastic weight loss program for its C7 debut? I wonder what else can the engineers really cut off, without using too expensive exotic materials. Your hp estimates are reallistic (maybe on the conservative side I hope!).

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
I wonder what else can the engineers really cut off, without using too expensive exotic materials.
I think Pat is pretty close, and you hit the nail on the head, expensive exotic materials, will put the Z06 out of reach for the average buyer.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Including the input from patric an "educated guess" about future hp looks something like this:

I wonder if they increase the z06's hp/tq numbers for the 2009 & 2010 model years.

·
Formerly DOC7000
4,513 Posts
They would have to take out weight as they engineer the car from the ground up. They would have to engineer the car to be light or do a ton of the work then as it would help spread costs. I can see them pulling it off and at a good price point its a matter of how they handle things.

Horsepower and torque can go up pretty quickly, one thing is for sure with the new fuel economy rules the LS7 is sure to get VVT and direct injection or at least I hope it will.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Most of what we know is summarized in the table below**

I was wondering what are the "educated guesses" about the horse power of future corvettes. Anyone up to the challenge of filling in the question marks? In 2012 (god permitting) we can always revisit this thread to check who made the most accurate estimates!

** any mistakes you notice I will be glad to fix. I am by no means a corvette expert.
To make the chart correct, one minor change 2001 ~ 2004 base was 350Hp:cheers:

·
Banned
972 Posts
There is NO 2005 z06

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
The C5 in 2001 moved up 5hp to 350.

The real question is the same as the last 2 "events" that killed the great horsepower wars: What will oil prices do? and what will the gov't do with CAFE standards?

·
Registered
587 Posts
if the dems win all 3 branches of govt on the 2008 election you can use that list for toilet paper because the libs hate big business and they are doing their best to put them under. we will be lucky to even have a corvette because GM will have to spend all their money on developing 50 MPG cars

·
Registered
403 Posts
if the dems win all 3 branches of govt on the 2008 election you can use that list for toilet paper because the libs hate big business and they are doing their best to put them under. we will be lucky to even have a corvette because GM will have to spend all their money on developing 50 MPG cars
According to a report I heard a few days ago GM is in good shape as far as CAFE standards go.

According to the report, they have the most models in there current lineup that do over 34 MPG. Now I know that is far from 50 but its a start.

And I think technology will keep up fine. Considering 3 days ago they just had a hydrogen powered car go 300 miles on a single tank, charge whatever it was. I don't know alot about them. But it was a good sign that they are headed in the right direction.

Rickv

·
Registered
16,300 Posts
Gas Guzzler Tax was initiated and passed over-whelmingly by a Republican Congress. Jimmy Carter was president and vetoed the fewest bills of any President.

Oh and by the way, Richard Nixon established the EPA, author and monitor of the GAS Guzzler Tax.

By hey it sounded like you knew what you were talking about:rolling: :rolling:

:cheers:

·
Registered
121 Posts
We'll wind up with a V6 Corvette hybrid that'll barely make 250 hp and it'll still probably not get as good of gas mileage as we have today. :thud:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts