Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
31,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On the run: Gaddafi flees Tripoli as protesters set the Libyan parliament building alight

* Protesters appear to have taken control of second city Benghazi
* Up to 400 feared dead after dozens killed in overnight clashes
* Justice minister resigns over 'excessive use of violence'
* David Cameron declares regime response is 'appalling and unacceptable'
* Gaddafi's son says: 'We will fight to the last minute, until the last bullet'
* UN warns that British Government could be guilty of 'complicity' in killings

Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi is believed to have fled the capital Tripoli after anti-government demonstrators breached the state television building and set government property alight.

Protesters appear to have gained a foothold in Tripoli as banks and government buildings were looted while demonstrators have claimed they have taken control of the second city Benghazi.

It is thought up to 400 people may have died in the unrest with dozens more reported killed in Tripoli overnight as protests reached the capital for the first time and army units were said to have defected to the opposition.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...s-Tripoli-parliament-building-set-alight.html

Libyan Muslim leaders order followers to rebel

Feb 21 (Reuters) - A coalition of Libyan Muslim leaders has issued a declaration telling all Muslims it is their duty to rebel against the Libyan leadership.

"They have demonstrated total arrogant impunity and continued, and even intensified, their bloody crimes against humanity. They have thereby demonstrated total infidelity to the guidance of God and His beloved Prophet (peace be upon him)," said the group, called the Network of Free Ulema of Libya.

"This renders them undeserving of any obedience or support, and makes rebelling against them by all means possible a divinely ordained duty," the group said in a declaration obtained by Reuters on Monday. (Reporting by Tom Heneghan; Writing by Christian Lowe; Editing by Tim Pearce)

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/02/21/libya-protests-duty-idUSLDE71K1MY20110221

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
I have to say, this surprises me more than anything I have read abou the middle east uprisings. I never thought Gadaffi could be run from power. This is really frightening for the overall picture in the middle east. It makes me think we are getting ready for a region-wide blow-up. Israel is going to be in the crossfire and almost anything could happen. If Saudi Arabia goes, the world is in deep ****. We will be worried about a lot more than $6 gasoline.

·
Registered
6,068 Posts
I have to say, this surprises me more than anything I have read abou the middle east uprisings. I never thought Gadaffi could be run from power. This is really frightening for the overall picture in the middle east. It makes me think we are getting ready for a region-wide blow-up. Israel is going to be in the crossfire and almost anything could happen. If Saudi Arabia goes, the world is in deep ****. We will be worried about a lot more than $6 gasoline.

No sympathy for the devil...I'd love to see the protesters catch that terrorist bastard and roast his ass...least you forget Lockerbie.

As far as any uprisings...great.:thumbsup: Let the Arabs kill each other, if that's what they want. But to be honest, I think we are finally going beyond religious hostilities. Much of this is fueled by the youth who are tired of living in repressive societies. And I suspect they will not move to fundamentalist rulership, which would be equally repressive...believe me, Iran is looking at this and is very worried. They had their uprisings and they were able to suppress them. I'm not so sure if it happens again in Iran they'll be able to quell them so successfully.

Israel...hey, they've had the bomb for some time now, and that is their equalizer.;) In the end, wouldn't it be funny if this worked out to Israel's advantage...that you actually established progressive political enviroments in these Arab countries who were less hostile to Israel as a nation? It might be wishful thinking, but stranger things have happpened.

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
No sympathy for the devil...I'd love to see the protesters catch that terrorist bastard and roast his ass...least you forget Lockerbie.

As far as any uprisings...great.:thumbsup: Let the Arabs kill each other, if that's what they want. But to be honest, I think we are finally going beyond religious hostilities. Much of this is fueled by the youth who are tired of living in repressive societies. And I suspect they will not move to fundamentalist rulership, which would be equally repressive...believe me, Iran is looking at this and is very worried. They had their uprisings and they were able to suppress them. I'm not so sure if it happens again in Iran they'll be able to quell them so successfully.

Israel...hey, they've had the bomb for some time now, and that is their equalizer.;) In the end, wouldn't it be funny if this worked out to Israel's advantage...that you actually established progressive political enviroments in these Arab countries who were less hostile to Israel as a nation? It might be wishful thinking, but stranger things have happpened.
I agree that Gaddafi is evil. But I don't think the democratic urgings of the youth of the middle east will prevail. They are the group that will run all of the old leaders out, but they don't know how to organize or lead. They will quickly be displaced by the Islamists who already have an organization in place. Look for Sharia law to be implemented in many countries that have had secular leadership. Again, if Saudi Arabia goes this way - and right now I give them about a 50/50 chance of doing so - energy prices will soar, and our economy will take a beating.

·
Registered
6,068 Posts
energy prices will soar, and our economy will take a beating.
If our economy has to take a beating in order for us to finally wean ourselves away from our enslavement to petroleum based energy sources by developing alternative energy sources then so be it...the sooner the better.:thumbsup: It would make me rejoice to be able to tell those Arab countries (whose economies depend nearly 100% on being able to sell their oil to us and others) to try drinking it for food.;) Unfortunately, they (the Arabs) know this and they will not let that happen...at least, not in my lifetime.

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
If our economy has to take a beating in order for us to finally wean ourselves away from our enslavement to petroleum based energy sources by developing alternative energy sources then so be it...the sooner the better.:thumbsup: It would make me rejoice to be able to tell those Arab countries (whose economies depend nearly 100% on being able to sell their oil to us and others) to try drinking it for food.;) Unfortunately, they (the Arabs) know this and they will not let that happen...at least, not in my lifetime.
I agree with you in the desire not to be dependent on Arab oil. But it is wishful thinking to believe that a quick transition away from that oil would be anything short of a disaster. What do you suppose double or triple energy prices would do to the American economy if it took place over, say, a year? It would be devastating. Yes, I want off of oil, but that transition must take place over 25-50 years, not all at once.

·
Registered
6,068 Posts
I agree with you in the desire not to be dependent on Arab oil. But it is wishful thinking to believe that a quick transition away from that oil would be anything short of a disaster. What do you suppose double or triple energy prices would do to the American economy if it took place over, say, a year? It would be devastating. Yes, I want off of oil, but that transition must take place over 25-50 years, not all at once.

No...it can't happen in 1 year. But a 5 year plan could work. Afterall, that is how long it took for the Manhattan Project;), and we (our government) should make this the number 1 priority for this country. It would be painful, but in the end, we could rid ourselves of that oil albatross hanging from our necks.

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
No...it can't happen in 1 year. But a 5 year plan could work. Afterall, that is how long it took for the Manhattan Project;), and we (our government) should make this the number 1 priority for this country. It would be painful, but in the end, we could rid ourselves of that oil albatross hanging from our necks.
You're joking? Right? :laughing:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts