Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stage 3 of my garage build (Stage 1 was the garage itself, Stage 2 was the floor which I posted about earlier) is now complete. More stages coming soon.

After much research, I finally decided on a Challenger VS-10. I laid out the columns using Rhino Ramps which closely approximate the column size. My garage is 25'3" deep and the ceiling height is 13'0" at the center, and my goal was to put the columns as far back as possible while still allowing room to park (small) cars between them and the overhead door, even if it was "tight." While I never plan to own 5 cars, it doesn't hurt to plan. I also needed to ensure enough room behind them to lift any vehicle up to a large SUV (I don't own one, but friends do).

I had it professionally installed by a skilled local shop. They took their time and did a great job. The lower stops aren't adjusted quite right (from the factory), so they have to come out and re-shim the carriages, but the lift works and I can at least get working on cars now. No comments about the electrical wire - I obviously only set that up as a "quickie" to get the lift running and will re-do it this weekend properly :)

Next up I need to finish electrical, compressor lines, and then get HVAC and insulation installed.

Pictures are not modified or cleaned up - this is just how they came out of the camera so please forgive any bad lighting or contrast, etc.

Want to know a cool but unexpected benefit of having a lift? For those of us with bad knees and/or backs (I'm not that old yet, but it's happening already!) it helps with washing/polishing and detailing. You can get the wheels, rockers, and lower door areas right up to eye level.

Such as:

·
DC Pit Crew Boss
4,165 Posts
Wow after you polished that BMW it turned blue!!!!:laughing:

Very nice garage though, the epoxy floor looks great and the whole setup looks very clean. Good call with all of the windows in front of the lift, it's always nice to work on a car in natural daylight.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
Very nice *

I like the brick veneer on the front of the Building
as well

The exterior looks Class A as well :thumbsup:

Nice lift, It shouldmake life alot easier :nuts:

Bon

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nice install. Did you have to select a specific strength concrete from the beginning to be able to go with a two post?
Nope - most 2-posts require 3000-3500 psi (standard) at least 4" thick. Mine's 5000 psi and 8" thick but has a full size basement underneath so it had to be beefed up to accommodate the weight.

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
I hate you. Unless you let me use your garage... :D :thumbsup:

·
Registered
914 Posts
I was able to buy this lift from my former employer for $500. I helped install it in my work area in 1998. I had to dismantle it and move it and reassemble it and wire it. It took a full week to get the job done but it was well worth it.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

·
Registered
54 Posts
I can see the advantages of working on our vets with a 2 post lift.
Are there any long term concerns with the wheels free hanging for a long period of time, ie, winter storage?

·
Registered
914 Posts
Are there any long term concerns with the wheels free hanging for a long period of time, ie, winter storage?
I think it's better to have it off the ground. The tires won't flat spot from sitting in one spot. And you can park your other car under it.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I've heard people say that you don't want to store a car for that long with the suspension drooping, but honestly I don't think it matters. If you think about it, the suspension actually supports the entire weight of the car when it's on the ground and has to be strong enough to deal with cornering forces, bumps, and lots of interior loading. Why would it have trouble with 75lb of weight (i.e. wheels, tires, shocks, and other components) hanging from it?

The main concern in my mind would be if any fluids are seeping or dripping from the car up in the air - then you'd want to make sure those didn't get on the car below.

·
Registered
905 Posts
I'm getting ready to put a lift in my shop also. Mine is 24' x 40' with 12' at the peak. My question is---is it ok to lift a C5 with a two post lift? In the manual, it shows the rear jacking points at the rear end. Unable to get there with a 2 post. Is it safe to lift all four points from under the sides? No problem with my 77, it has a solid frame. I'd really rather have a two post so I can do suspension and wheel work. Art

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm getting ready to put a lift in my shop also. Mine is 24' x 40' with 12' at the peak. My question is---is it ok to lift a C5 with a two post lift? In the manual, it shows the rear jacking points at the rear end. Unable to get there with a 2 post. Is it safe to lift all four points from under the sides? No problem with my 77, it has a solid frame. I'd really rather have a two post so I can do suspension and wheel work. Art
Yes, it's safe. Pick up some jacking pucks from my store here:

Click here for PFYC's jacking pucks for C5 and C6

to clear the fiberglass and you can lift that sucker right up. I've seen it done a lot.

·
Banned
591 Posts

·
Banned
591 Posts
I made mine a little longer than the ones they sell
Also a little thicker and wider
Cost was less than 15 bucks at the scrap yard
Didn't do anything but cut to length , drilled and counter sunk 4 holes in each , took about 15 minutes
It took longer to put them on the car than make them.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts