Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone used a cheap ceramic tile on there garage floor?Mine is in good shape and was thinking of going this route as opposed to "race deck" type flooring or epoxy.

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
I'd be afraid of any small defect causing the tiles to break when that much weight is put on them.. Plus any slight bump or dip would need to be prefectly leveled or same thing.. then if anything gets into the grout-- yuck.. and I'm not sure even the best grout sealer could keep back brake fluid or trans fluid..

just my thoughts

·
Registered
7,962 Posts
Epoxy is the way to go..:thumbsup:

·
Registered
476 Posts
I'd be afraid of any small defect causing the tiles to break when that much weight is put on them.. Plus any slight bump or dip would need to be prefectly leveled or same thing.. then if anything gets into the grout-- yuck.. and I'm not sure even the best grout sealer could keep back brake fluid or trans fluid..

just my thoughts
:agree: Plus if you ever plan on jacking your vehicle at any point your likely to destroy the tile under the weight of the vehicle

·
Registered
92 Posts
Ive had mine tilled for 5 years, with only 1 tile crack where i jack the car up to get to the motor (2 dollar tile easy 1 hour fix)

When I have grease and oil on the floor i spray a bit of degreaser on the floor and mop up with an old mop, fast easy and looks great !!!!

see attached link for full story (this shows the full story of how i made my final decision)

http://nswcorvettes.com.au/forum/viewthread.php?tid=1796

FYI I also have kitchen laminex as the wall surface so I can easilly clean off what my sidepipes throw on...

i am mick on that forum....

I have lost the entire contents of my radiator on that floor with no damage to the grout. I have also spilled power steering fluid and plenty of gas, it always cleans up fine!!!!

as you can see i got some small bits of rubber for the stands and lift they slide around easily on the tiles.

i installed all you see here with no damage to the tiles.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
I've been reading about g-floor, which is rolled down. A local big box store carries it for about $170 (7.5' x 17'). Reviews seem to be mixed. It seems to expand and contract with temperature. I sealed my floor with a high quality sealer, but I'm still interested in the g-floor. I just wouldn't butt it up against another piece. I'd cut a small hole in the center and let all the water run down to the drain.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Here is my Race Deck day of the install super easy to install and after five years already WOW it still looks GREAT:cheers::cheers:

·
Banned
7,823 Posts
As much as I would like to Racedeck my garage, it would cost waaay too much. I will probably eventually just Ucoat-It for 1/5 the cost.

·
Registered
11,227 Posts
....thats cool, the way you did your lighting....:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Ive had mine tilled for 5 years, with only 1 tile crack where i jack the car up to get to the motor (2 dollar tile easy 1 hour fix)

When I have grease and oil on the floor i spray a bit of degreaser on the floor and mop up with an old mop, fast easy and looks great !!!!

see attached link for full story (this shows the full story of how i made my final decision)

http://nswcorvettes.com.au/forum/viewthread.php?tid=1796

FYI I also have kitchen laminex as the wall surface so I can easilly clean off what my sidepipes throw on...

i am mick on that forum....

I have lost the entire contents of my radiator on that floor with no damage to the grout. I have also spilled power steering fluid and plenty of gas, it always cleans up fine!!!!

as you can see i got some small bits of rubber for the stands and lift they slide around easily on the tiles.

i installed all you see here with no damage to the tiles.

·
Registered
92 Posts
thanks 92roadster,
Its great to be able to polish your car the night before a show and know that you will not have missed anything the next day.

Plus i never need a torch under the car except for those really tight spaces.

·
Registered
11,227 Posts
....and I expected to see a launch pad in the back yard.....:laughing:

....way cool....:thumbsup:

My garage is a working garage so I went with Epoxy. The paint is now 9 years old and has some battle scars, but still looks really good. I weld, cut, use the floor jack and drag heavy things across the floor and the epoxy holds real well.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts