Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having a house built and I’m already planning on updating the garage. It's going to be unfinished (no drywall) so I can install a great lighting system in the ceiling.

Any other ideals?

·
DC Pit Crew
11,957 Posts
ragvette said:
Having a house built and I’m already planning on updating the garage. It's going to be unfinished (no drywall) so I can install a great lighting system in the ceiling.

Any other ideals?
if your having it built i would talk to the contractor and actually have them finish the garage and go in and do the lighting before the drywall is up...that way your garage is done when you move in...not a major project on the books before you even move in....

also have the garage made larger.....my dad built a house 3 years ago and he had them add 2 feet to the depth of the garage...aslo have a natrual gas line ran into the garage for a heater in the future.

·
DC Crew
53,209 Posts
Re: Re: Garage ideals needed

Punk Boy said:
if your having it built i would talk to the contractor and actually have them finish the garage and go in and do the lighting before the drywall is up...that way your garage is done when you move in...not a major project on the books before you even move in....

also have the garage made larger.....my dad built a house 3 years ago and he had them add 2 feet to the depth of the garage...aslo have a natrual gas line ran into the garage for a heater in the future.
I put power outlets in the ceiling so I could plug in a shop light while working on the car. Or you could use them to add additional lighting down the road.

From a power consumption standpoint, florescent is the way to go. Halogens are nice, but they get extremely hot and suck power.

You should have two seperate switches in your garage. One to turn on "general" lighting, and another to flip on the serious lighting.

Just my thoughts..... :)

·
Registered
6,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Punk Boy said:

I would have the builder do the lighting and drywall but the sales office told us a move-in around November (last year) would be no problem :rolleyes: Now we just want the house ASAP and having the builder do more would slow it up even more.

We just looked at the house yesterday and the outlet in the master bedroom for a ceiling fan was in a corner of the room. WTF.

Can't go any bigger since the garage walls are already up. It's already a 3 1/2 car garage so I've got plenty of room.

Punk Boy : The Natual Gas line the builder should be able to handle (I hope), great ideal. :thumbsup:

·
DC Pit Crew
11,957 Posts
yw...i was misunderstood...i thought you where still in the planning stages...and hadn't started building....

WTF is there an outlet for the fan anyway..it should be hardwired into an outlet?

·
DC PIT CREW BOSS
36,412 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Garage ideals needed

Can't go any bigger since the garage walls are already up. It's already a 3 1/2 car garage so I've got plenty of room.

Start being nice to your wife. before long it will be to small. I put in 26x38 and out grew it in about 4 years. I guess the junk multiplies at night. One thing I did was to go ahead and wire a separate service box out of my main box, but mine is a detatched garage. Yours might already be in the garage. Then I wire dual recepticle every 7 feet (check your local code). The light in the ceiling are florescent but I wire plugs for them instead of hard wiring them. That makes installation and changes easier. If you don't already have it, water is really nice with a utility type sink. I also plumbed air lines with disconnects before I stareted filling it up. Good luck on getting in soon. BTW you might want to do the wiring yourself rather than have a electrician that put ceiling fans in the corner

·
Registered
6,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

MinnesotaWhite said:
Pay for what I think is called 5000 lbs garage floor.

If you ever decided to put a 4 post lift in there...the cement is ready for it!!
:thumbsup: Thanks MinnesotaWhite.

Upgraded the thickness of the garage floor from 4" to 5" thick and change the concrete from 3000psi to 4000psi. I hope to get a 4-post lift this summer if everything goes well. Gives Patrick a place to come and detail his GS. :D

·
Registered
6,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Re: Re: Re: Re: Garage ideals needed

Torch Red 2K said:

Start being nice to your wife. before long it will be to small. I put in 26x38 and out grew it in about 4 years. I guess the junk multiplies at night.
I can see that happening :laughing:

water is a good ideal.

·
DC Crew
53,209 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Garage ideals needed

ragvette said:
:thumbsup: Thanks MinnesotaWhite.

Upgraded the thickness of the garage floor from 4" to 5" thick and change the concrete from 3000psi to 4000psi. I hope to get a 4-post lift this summer if everything goes well. Gives Patrick a place to come and detail his GS. :D
YAY!!!!!!!!! That's my buddy!!!!!!!!!!!!:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

·
Registered
8,067 Posts
a few more ideas (wish I had thought of theses when I built)...

Make sure ceiling is high enough just in case you ever decide to get a lift to store a car and along with that have the garage door run up as close to the ceiling as possible to allow use of garage door opener. Making the door go straight up towards the ceiling means less of the tracks and subsequently the door also, being in the way, again if you ever decide to use a lift. A service door out of the garage so you don't always have to enter from the house or overhead, maybe a slop sink so you can leave the dirt out there and then could hook a hose to it also.

·
DC Pit Crew
11,957 Posts
EEEEEEEEEEEEKKKKKK thats not good if you planned on putting in extra electric.....

have them tear it off on the side you want to add the extra to...leave it up on the side you won't use as often

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
all the menbers ideas have been right on ,you may allso have a steel I beam across center for a power hoist to be avail.this worked for me and was not so much of a eye sore that it sounds like.kenny 1984

1 - 14 of 14 Posts