Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I learned the hard way - make sure your Gas Cap is screwed in properly before starting your C6 or you will get the Check Engine Light. Went to the Dealer today and he showed me the Code and the Error was Reset. They told me that once it goes on and it is screwed back in properly - it might take 52 -62 ignition starts before it goes away.

·
Registered
109 Posts
52-62??? I doubt it will take that long. Usually within 10 or so starts it will go out. The one time my cap didn't lock right and the light came on, I don't even think it took 10 starts before it went out. more like 3-4.:cheers:

·
Registered
16,300 Posts
52-62??? I doubt it will take that long. Usually within 10 or so starts it will go out. The one time my cap didn't lock right and the light came on, I don't even think it took 10 starts before it went out. more like 3-4.:cheers:
:agree:

My GF srewed mine in while on a road trip. CEL went out after 3rd start.

Get a code reader they are not expensive and they save you trips to the dealer.

:cheers:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Fifty two, sixty two, or ten starts? :surprised On a short trip last week, my CEL came on. I turned off the car, tightened the cap, started the car and within 1 mile, the CEL went out.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, I know 52 -62 starts to reset sounds a little out of line. I put the gas cap on correctly after the CEL, and drove it about 24 miles, but it did not clear. I let it set overnight and drove to the Dealership - about 45 miles - and it did not clear. At the Dealer, the code was retrieved and the CEL cleared, but the gas cap was not touched - so I had it on correctly. Oh Well, now I know more about this topic.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I am on my third gas cap since they keep getting screwed up. My 2005 will be 3 years old on Aug 30 and has 26000 miles. I can't understand why GM cannot make a gas cap that works.

·
Only green will do...
18,389 Posts
Does this effect other vehicles also i have a gascap that just clicks automatically no screwing just put in and turn less that once

·
Registered
140 Posts
"Why GM cannot make a gas cap that works?"

What kind of problem are you having with your gas caps?
In over 30 years of driving GM cars I've never had a gas cap failure. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
33 Posts
gas cap

when you attempt to close the cap it clicks but does not catch and if you pull strait up it comes off. the information on the dash says check gas cap.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Oh Boy, this sounds familiar. I think my Gas Cap is going. It took me about 3 or 4 tries to lock the Gas Cap so that it won't pull out when you pull on it. It has been Ok for a year until now.

Now, after pumping gas, I will pull on the Gas Cap to make sure that it is engaged.

·
Registered
754 Posts
I have gotten the "check gas cap" message several times, but never the CEL as. After the third message, I reviewed what I was doing and determined it to be user error.

Don't push in the cap and try to "screw it in" like you would normally do. Just set it in and turn until it clicks without applying pressure, then pull on it to make sure its sealed. problem solved.

Pushing in on the cap while turning it for some reason keeps it from sealing..

·
Registered
883 Posts
Are you telling me you can't view and erase codes in the C6 from the car?

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
I have gotten the "check gas cap" message several times, but never the CEL as. After the third message, I reviewed what I was doing and determined it to be user error.

Don't push in the cap and try to "screw it in" like you would normally do. Just set it in and turn until it clicks without applying pressure, then pull on it to make sure its sealed. problem solved.

Pushing in on the cap while turning it for some reason keeps it from sealing..
:agree:

·
Registered
147 Posts
Just replaced my gas cap under warranty. wouldn't screw on at all, no clicks, U could just pull it off without turning, resulting in check gas cap dic message sometimes, other times, check engine ..got a new cap, had the codes cleared and so far, so good.
doug

·
Registered
345 Posts
I never had problem with my gas cap but had problem closing it the first two times I filled it up. I found a trick that close it easily and never had problem since.

The trick is to line up the tangs on the gas cap with the designated tang opening on the fuel opening and it only needs one click to close it securely. I never had to do this to my other vehicles but the vette seem finiky this way.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts