Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another observation, and request for a possible fix:

My gas gage is swaying constantly, generally a 1/4 of the scale, so if the tank is 5/8th full, the needle swings between 1/2 and 3/4, at a speed which is consistent with the sloshing of the gas in the tank. Hence nearly stationary on a flat road.
Even with a fully topped off tank, the needle swings and goes over the full mark.

Now, that may be normal, I don't know, but could it be dampened?

I think about putting an electrolytic capacitor across the gage terminals, and would think that this 'absorbs' swinging.
Actually, this should be part of the gage itself, but access to the sender wiring is much easier, 4 screws out of the tank lid ring, and the wiring is there.

Has anyone the same observation and a possible fix?

Thanks,

Cor

·
Registered
118 Posts
My gas needle doesn`t move at all under normal or hard driving. It only moves a little bit when driving slowly up steep hills and when parking on a slope. The difference is usually around 1\16 on the scale or something like that. But the damn thing shows the tank as empty when there is 30 litres left and it reaches full when it`s supposed to.

·
Registered
52 Posts
It's been a while since I have seen the circuit, but I think there is a capacitor in the low fuel warning light circuit that I think helps low pass filter the response of the fuel gauge. Sometimes these old caps fail, which could be why your gauge is stuffed.

It possibly could be a bad gauge as well, I had mine on the bench recently and noticed it is quite slow to respond to changes in resistance from the level sensor. So it seems odd that yours is moving rapidly.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I also contacted one of the well known vendors, who has a page with problem solvers on his site; he has no recommendation other than to replace the gage, as the fluid in there has dried up???
So there seems to be a damper inside the gage?

Cor

·
Registered
910 Posts
Some have repaired this by injecting fan clutch fluid into the dried out cavity of the gauge. Toyota has or had it available.
I've seen the instructions for this before, don't know if I saved them.
Don't know about the capacitor.:huh:

BTW, mine did the exact same thing, didn't bother to fix it.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
By coincidence I discovered on a Dutch model racing forum that silicon fluid is sold in small bottles for diff's and shocks in model road racers.
Now it appears that this fluid is available in many different weights, the largest number being thicker.
Look at this
http://www.modelbouwforum.nl/forums/[te-koop]-autos/133469-siliconen-olie-2-50-euro-per-flesje.html
Could anyone shed a light on what weight to use in a fuel gauge?
Price a bottle is just $3.50
Postage is much more.........:lookinup:

Thanks
Cor

1 - 6 of 6 Posts