Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This has probably been addressed before but I can't seem to find a clear solution. I filled my tank up the other day for winter storage and now I am getting fumes in the garage. My carburetor was just re-built so I know that it's not part of the problem. I spent a few minutes today tracing the smell and it seems to be coming from the engine compartment, passenger side near the exhaust manifold. I checked the carburetor for leaks at the fuel inlet and it was dry.
Could this be a vapor canister issue? The car is all original but the smog pump and catalytic converter have been removed.

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
Since the carb was just rebuilt I would look at all the rubber lines leading from the vapor canister, and to and from the carb. That seems to be what changed. Something was disturbed, maybe a old and cracked rubber line gave away when it was disconnected and re-connected.

Rubber lines have a way of looking better on the outside than they do on the inside, so I would pull and re-seat all the rubber lines from the vapor canister. Inspect the ends, maybe cut off .5" and re-install...making sure you have a good tight connection.

·
Registered
3,808 Posts
Check the lines all the way to the fuel pump and the lines going from the fuel pump to the gas tank.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I found the problem... The rubber hose from the fuel line to the fuel pump was leaking. I squeezed the hose and it started pouring out. I guess after 32 years it should be expected.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts