Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone confirm to me whether or not the gas tank lid on a 69 corvette should be able to stay open on it's own?

When I want to fill up the tank or look into the gas tank, the darn lid on my car keeps on wanting to fall down and close.

Is there a hidden spring or adjustment or is this something you just have to live with?

thanks

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
Can anyone confirm to me whether or not the gas tank lid on a 69 corvette should be able to stay open on it's own?

When I want to fill up the tank or look into the gas tank, the darn lid on my car keeps on wanting to fall down and close.

Is there a hidden spring or adjustment or is this something you just have to live with?

thanks

I know for sure the '71 and later gas doors have a spring that holds the door up and open. I 'think' the '68 - '70 have springs but I wasn't able to locate one from a vendor so I can't be sure.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This came to a head because I was placing some gas from a small plastic gas cannister my wife had filled up for me. Little did I know she had messed with the nozzles on the cannsister and when I went to pour the gas in, the 10 inch long nozzle fell off and went down into the gas tank. :)

While I was trying to find and remove the nozzle (As the nozzle sat in the tank laughing at me) the damn tank lid kept falling down on me and driving me nuts.

·
Registered
179 Posts
It's more like a clip. Unscrew the four mounting screws and pull the door assembly out. You can get to the spring/clip from there. You may be able to bend the clip to give it more tension when the door is in the up position.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I got the lid off and just bent it back more. I could have probably just done it while it was on the car but was afraid it would snap off and scratch the paint.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts