Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

just learned that I'll have to remove the tank to get the rear bumper cover on (1974) and need some advice on removal and what to replace.

As far as removal, from what I can see I'll have to remove the muffllers and pipes back to about the leaf spring. Has anyone found a way around this ? Doesn't look like there is any room to maneuver the tank around the mufflers even if they are lowered a bit. The exhaust sytem is brand new and all welded so as much as I HATE to hack into it I don't see another way.

Once out, do you all think it would be better to just go with a replacement tank since it's not that much more expensive than getting the old one cleaned & sealed ? NO problems/rust at all with the current tank.

Is this a good time to replace the fuel level sending unit ? I assume that the original is still in place. It's working fine but I don't know how long these last ... 33 years seems like a good lifespan.

I figure on replacing all of the flexible fuel lines & tank straps.

Is there anything else I should replace ?

Thanks for your help!!

·
Registered
512 Posts
You could have some flanges welded so that you could remove the rear portion of your exhaust. As you say, it's an old car, probably won't be the only time you have to remove the exhaust.

The only thing I would add to your shopping list is the insulators that go between the straps and the tank.

·
Registered
910 Posts
:agree:
That can be done around here for about 50 bucks and worth every cent.:D
A lot are done just behind the tranny crossmember.

·
DC Crew
12,250 Posts
Be very carefull on removing the tank. There is a plastic breather fitting on the driver side top that will break. You can only find them used and are expensive.

Good luck! :thumbsup:

·
DC Crew
12,250 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts