Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1988 project, 03Z
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who here is running a gearvendors overdrive behind their slushbox?

Looking at the possibility of installing one and looking for comments regarding how you like it/what you think of the system.

Thanks!

·
Registered
72 Posts
I think you'd be hard pressed to install one without a lot of frame and various other mods. You have a C-beam attached from the tranny to the differential, you'd have to duplicate that somehow to the gear vendor unit. I think you'd be better off looking for a tranny with a higher overdrive gearing that trying this mod. My 2 cents.

·
Registered
1988 project, 03Z
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I appreciate the information. I had read that they have tailshafts for Corvette, but no information as to which model.
As far as finding a tranny with a higher overdrive gearing....I would love your input on finding one!

The TH700/4L60 in mine has a 0.7 overdrive. The 6L80 has a 0.67. Even the 8L90 only goes to 0.65, assuming I could get it to fit and work.
Beyond that, I have to look at retrofitting a manual transmission plus Dana 44 rear end.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Tremec? I believe there's a 6 speed with a .5 overdrive. I know I've seen reference to automatic overdrive transmission ratios before, but that was not a big thing for me so can't say much to it.

·
Registered
1988 project, 03Z
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The Tremec 6 speeds are manual... And yes, they're available with 0.62 or 0.5 for their second overdrive

·
Premium Member
4,728 Posts
We are balls deep in a build with a gear vendors over/underdrive unit. Ours is mated to a 400 trans making it a beefy 6 speed auto that can handle the 572 cubic inches pushing it. Or we hope. I mean we are gonna find out. Our build is a 1968 C10. I don't have a picture of it on hand but i have this picture right before it went on showing the mount for it that replaces the tailshaft housing..

And we are a little bit further along with this job right now. Currently we are right here on this project..

·
Registered
1988 project, 03Z
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Awesome pictures! That 572 doesn't look all that big in that setting!
Please let me know how it goes!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts